FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keeping music in sync in the storyline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Diamond
Keeping music in sync in the storyline
on Apr 17, 2014 at 7:13:30 pm

Hello,

So I know I'm missing something simple and it's driving me nuts. I want to add music to a radio cut and keep everything in sync, i.e. take out a few seconds of a music track, or extend it a few seconds, and have the whole sequence move with it. But each time I connect the music track to a clip in the primary storyline, or drop it in and/or create a new storyline, I still can't ripple the whole sequence - it only applies to the music track. I've done this a gazillion times with every other NLE - any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Jake

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: Keeping music in sync in the storyline
on Apr 17, 2014 at 8:21:35 pm

There are different techniques to achieve this in FCPX. What I do is create a one frame gap at the head of the timeline. Then I connect my music track as a compound clip to this gap.

That gives you a piece of media that syncs to frame one of the primary storyline and you can still jump into the Compound Clip to adjust timing if it's more than one piece of sound or music that you want to adjust while maintaining sync across the entire edit. It requires a slight change in mindset to think of sync as clip based rather than locked to a fixed track.

Return to posts index

Jake Diamond
on Apr 17, 2014 at 8:39:04 pm

James,

Thank you. Yes, it's taking me a bit to wrap my head around the timeline.

Thank you again!

Jake

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Apr 17, 2014 at 9:18:55 pm

Hey Jake,

I know that you are looking to do something a different here by pushing everything forward with an insert edit or the opposite with a delete. But here's a tip vid I made a while back about how I work with cutdowns on music in the MT, specifically on radio cuts. Might be of help.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Color Correcting in FCP X
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Jake Diamond
on Apr 18, 2014 at 1:30:00 am

Michael,

This is helpful. Turning the track into a secondary story line helped. I'm still approaching it as tracks, so I think that's half my problem.

Thank you,

Jake

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Apr 18, 2014 at 5:49:04 am

When you're learning the quirks and features of the timeline, it just takes a couple of good tips and then you're on your way. Glad that helped and best of luck on your project.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Color Correcting in FCP X
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]