FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nat Sound Sync

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sergio Lelevier
Nat Sound Sync
on Apr 17, 2014 at 12:13:34 am

I'm recording nat sound with a great shotgun mic and a Tascam 40D. Most likly, I will stop and go the DSLR but keep the audio recorder going through the shooting preocess, until there's a break.. What's the best workflow for syncing the audio with the shots used in the piece.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Nat Sound Sync
on Apr 17, 2014 at 12:48:00 am

Just import both the 5d footage = and the separate audio file into the same Library. Then select both the video and audio clips in your Event - and select Syncronize Clips from the menu. The result will be a clip with both the video and original audio - PLUS the second system audio in a single new clip in your event.

Two useful tips.

First, X uses the audio waves by default for sync, but if you have specific start and stop issues or things don't go well, place a marker on your video at a known point - and a marker on your audio at the same point - and X is smart enough to see that and use it as a rough initial sync point. That can help with repetitive sound tracks and the like.

Second, if you like to keep your clip libraries neat, after you synchronize to collect separate video and audio files into a single file, you can mark the original two files as REJECTED - and set your browser to "Hide Rejected" and instead of 3 files, you'll then have just a single synced file to work with.

Just some tips that might help.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Sergio Lelevier
on Apr 17, 2014 at 1:02:59 am

Thanks Bill. As you might have guessed, I'm new to FCPX. So, if I end up with 15 video clips and 2 files of audio from the external recorder, do I just highlight all the clips select Syncrpnize Clips and FCPX will create ond clip wit the synced track?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 18, 2014 at 2:51:38 am

Sorta.

Typically, you have ONE hero track of your audio. So the typical process in X multi-cam is to sync all your video angles to one master audio track.

If you try to sync multiple audio tracks, I'd be worried about comb filtering and other issues with having two "not exactly the same" audio tracks pre-mixed together. It's not impossible, but may be risky.

I think it would be better to sync one audio track initially, then lay in the second track against your initial cut in your storyline. But it's hard to make that call without knowing how your recorded in the field and how you assigned your mics, sources, etc.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]