FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X Lag is killing me.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Vandall
FCP X Lag is killing me.
on Apr 15, 2014 at 11:04:22 pm

Hi all,

I am running an i7 2.6 processor mac mini with 16 gigs of ram running mavericks. I am cutting a project on a gtech 1TB hard drive raid 0 connected via esata to my mini with the help of a lacie thunderbolt hub.

The project I am cutting is in proxy. Here is a link to the lag in performance. Moving clips around, making cuts, its delayed sometimes by two seconds. It is killing me.

I never had this problem with 7. Can someone please help me? Thank you!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: FCP X Lag is killing me.
on Apr 16, 2014 at 12:10:08 am

I'd blow out my preferences with preference manager.

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

What is the aja or bmd speed test result for your drive?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Apr 16, 2014 at 12:47:13 am

Tried trashing preferences. Didn't work. How do I test the speed of the drive?

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Apr 16, 2014 at 12:51:09 am

Also,

I just opened another library with another piece I am working on. That library works flawlessly. No lag.

What gives? I am always on the verge of ditching this NLE forever, then it has some feature that I really like, then stuff like this happens.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Apr 16, 2014 at 12:55:08 am

Blackmagic Design has an app in the app store called Blackmagic Disk Speed Test and will tell you what your speed is (free).
Just make sure to select the correct disk when you run the test.

In terms of the other project, I don't know what could be causing it. Was the other library on the same hard drive?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Apr 16, 2014 at 1:00:41 am

Thanks John,

I'll try the app. And yes the other project is on the same hard drive. The one that lags is pretty basic. Some music, a primary storyline and some broll on top of it.

People say that you shouldn't have too many projects in the library. I also have some titles that I made into compound clips. Could that be it?

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Apr 16, 2014 at 8:27:36 am

I killed lag on some projects by setting OS X Spotlight not to index the FCP backup folder...

Its helped for some.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Nick Papadopoulos
on Jun 12, 2014 at 12:35:40 pm

Try removing any markers you might have on the timeline... Has helped some. I have a lot of multi cam-compounds on the timeline, and those are the problem. I've edited a 17 min 16 cameras project without multi cam and it worked perfectly fast. I'm working a 3 camera XDCAM 12 minute project and it's slow to the point of suicide... And all this on the new Mac Pro 2013 with dual D700s 1 TB (project is on the 1 TB Flash) and 16 GB Ram, this is an FCPX bottle neck. Needs optimisation from apple... I thought the new D700s would accelerate the interface compared to the 5770, but to no avail...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]