FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro X Lagging

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Vandall
Final Cut Pro X Lagging
on Apr 15, 2014 at 10:10:36 pm

Hi All,

I am running a core i7 2.6 processor mac mini with 16 gigs of ram. I am cutting a project now and it lives on a gtech 7200 raid 0 drive connected via esata through a lacie thunderbolt hub.

When I ingested the media, I made optimized and proxy. I now switched to proxy. Performance is better. but not great. Playback is fine, but just moving clips around the timeline, making cuts etc...There is a delay in operation of about 1 second every time I try and do anything. It is laggy and annoying.

Why is this? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Sam Comer
Re: Final Cut Pro X Lagging
on Apr 15, 2014 at 10:38:02 pm

It may sound weird, but try closing the inspector window. I heard that the other day and I'll be damned if it doesn't seen to doped things up.

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Apr 15, 2014 at 10:42:46 pm

Hey,

I tried it and it still doesn't work. I am editing in proxy and it is still like this. I don't know what to do about it. Makes me want to move to another NLE, or back to 7. I never had this problem with 7.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 15, 2014 at 11:01:50 pm

For me, even with 32gigs and a 2gig GPU on a 2012 iMac it does this every so often. ESPECIALLY if you use motion templates / generators in the timeline.

All that works for me is to just quit, then reopen the app. I think it need a ram flush button like After Effects. The times when I've seen frequent crashes was with templates in the sequence and you could watch the available ram in the activity monitor plunge. When it hit zero, crash.

Just quitting and restarting the app only takes seconds if you relaunch right away without doing anything else.

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Apr 15, 2014 at 11:30:36 pm

Hi Bret,

This is the problem I am running into. Check out the link.

It shouldn't be this way. 7 never did this.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 16, 2014 at 1:34:42 am

Peter, I know you aren't going to want to hear this, but a Mac mini is the absolute bottom of available computing resources to run fcpx.

Right now, fcpx is way more resource intensive than fcp7.

You could try another modern NLE, but you are going to hit a performance wall at some point.

If fcp7 works better on your current system, use it.

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Apr 16, 2014 at 3:28:16 am

Hi Jeremy,

I thought about that but it has a pretty fast processor i7 2.6 with 16 gigs of ram. Also, I opened another library for another project I am working on and the footage plays flawlessly. I can move clips around make cuts instantly. So now I'm thinking it might have something to do with the clips in the project I am having trouble with. Or it might not. I just don't know at this point.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 16, 2014 at 2:12:06 pm

What's your GPU and what codec? Using an h264 codec for example is more taxing on the processor. In 7 you had to use ProRes which was easy on the processor. FCP X utilizes the GPU for much of it's RT capabilities. That could be part of the culprit in a mac mini. Does it have a discrete GPU?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 16, 2014 at 3:07:30 pm

[Peter Vandall] "I thought about that but it has a pretty fast processor i7 2.6 with 16 gigs of ram. "

Sure, but FCPX uses a lot more GPU than FCP7 did. I know the mac mini's don't have a lot of GPU.

[Peter Vandall] "Also, I opened another library for another project I am working on and the footage plays flawlessly. I can move clips around make cuts instantly. So now I'm thinking it might have something to do with the clips in the project I am having trouble with. "

So the only difference between the libraries is the footage used? What's the difference between the footage/

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Apr 16, 2014 at 10:27:36 pm

I'd be curious use "show package contents" and see if there's a difference between the project you're having difficulty with, and the other project that you're not.

Can you copy and paste the entire sequence of clips into the new project and still have no problem?

I remember when there was a problem with compound clips basically doubling the sequence file size every time you added a splice to the compound clip in the timeline. I didn't discover this until I started checking file sizes of the project files.

There may be something that's causing the project size to swell, and the project file size may help you identify that.

I'm experiencing lag, but not that bad! Sometimes restarting helps. Closing libraries I'm not working on helps too.

Good luck.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]