FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing with proxy on the road etc...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Vandall
Editing with proxy on the road etc...
on Apr 15, 2014 at 7:33:15 pm

Hi all,

I am learning more and more about FCP X and I appreciate all the help I have received here so far.

If I work on a project at home, and when I ingested footage I made proxy and optimized media, if I ever had to go on the road and edit is there a way to copy over the library to my internal laptop HD with only proxy media to cut with?

The scenario I am looking for is to be able to edit with optimal performance on my laptop, but keep a field drive with me with optimized media that I would have as back up (in case my laptop dies, or if the client wants to see a cut, I would be able to mount the drive and switch to optimized to make an export)

This situation possible?
Thanks!
Pete

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Editing with proxy on the road etc...
on Apr 15, 2014 at 8:34:14 pm

Yes and no. It's not going to be as simple as plugging in a drive and hitting a button on FCPX because you're essentially dealing with two events: one with proxy media and one with optimized.

You can copy only the proxy files to your laptop, sure. That's easy. Select the event that contains your media. Choose Fie/Copy Event to Library/New Library. Create the new library on your laptop and in the ensuing dialogue box, choose to only copy the Proxy media.

Once you do that however, you'll have two events. One on your external drive connected to optimized and proxy with whatever projects you've cut along the way, and another connected only to the proxy. I haven't tried it, but after finishing the edit in your proxy event, you could try to copy the event back over to the original library and see if it connects back to the optimized. At the very least you should be able to relink the files.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Apr 15, 2014 at 9:10:44 pm

I would not suggest keeping two Events. You could just place the Library itself onto your External Drive. Then you could edit in Proxy mode with the proxies stored within the Library on your drive and then in Optimized/Original mode via Original media on your main system. To make this work you'd need to set your import preference to Import>Media Storage>Leave Files in Place.

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Apr 15, 2014 at 10:13:02 pm

Hi James,

The thing is I only want to have proxies on the hard drive of my laptop. It is an 256 SSD and I would rather have something on there that is compressed rather than original media.

Couldn't I just create a library on my hard drive, start a new project and copy over my sequence from the external and relink to the proxies? Then when I am back home move that project over to the external and relink to optimized when I want to go to finishing?

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Apr 15, 2014 at 9:11:58 pm

The big sticking point is that FCP X won't let you store render files outside of the Library file.

However if you create a new library on your internal HD BUT ingest the media to a folder on your external HD and create proxies at the same time, then every time the project loads it will look for that location and if it can't find it switch to the proxies on the internal HD. If you move the library folder to the external HD and load it from there it will still look to the same location for the media.

I would do all your cutting with proxy media from the internal HD, but when you want to add final effects, CC titles etc (basically anything that needs render) you might want to copy the project over to the external HD as the render files will need fast drive speed and start to take up room.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Apr 15, 2014 at 10:16:09 pm

Hi Michael,

The thing is FCP X doesn't allow you to seperately point where you want optimized and proxy media to live does it? Doesn't just allow you to put both in the same library on one drive? So if I do transcoding to my home external, but want to edit with proxy on my internal HD on my laptop on the road, will I have to just manually copy the files over? If that's the case it seems more like a fcp 7 workflow that I know X is trying to get away from.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 16, 2014 at 6:19:25 am

[Peter Vandall] "If that's the case it seems more like a fcp 7 workflow that I know X is trying to get away from."

Currently it's a little odd, in that you can choose to keep some files outside the Library, but not all. I don't think it'll stay that way, but when or how they'll change it is anyone's guess...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Apr 16, 2014 at 8:25:51 am

Sorry slight misunderstanding. Are you working on two machines or one? If its one they create the Library on the internal drive on the laptop, and transcode the proxies - which will live inside the library. Crucially the important thing is to ingest the hi res media to your external drive. I would not create optimised - just proxy. Edit with the library on the internal HD using the proxy media. Then when you want to "online", copy the library file to the external HD (it won't be that big) and then open it from there. Then create optimised etc.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]