FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony PMW-100 mp4.ewc2 video files won't import to Final Cut Pro X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Freedman
Sony PMW-100 mp4.ewc2 video files won't import to Final Cut Pro X
on Apr 13, 2014 at 10:54:22 pm

Hello all,

I recently shot a friends wedding and borrowed his work's Sony PMW-100 XDCAM for the ceremony. When I came back and tried to import the clips into Final Cut Pro X, I noticed FCPX didn't recognize the video files.

I've attached a photo of the file structure but it seems the files were saved as "filename.mp4.ewc2"

Since the PMW-100 records onto an SD card, I first copied the entire card (file structure intact) onto my HDD and tried to import but no luck. I then directly connected the camera with SD card in it and tried to import but FCPX would still not recognize the files.

After researching, the best I could find was that .ewc2 files were for the Edius editing software and I would need to convert the footage to ProRes422. It makes since because my friend works for a TV news station and they edit on Edius but I can't seem to find any converter that will switch it to ProRes422

ClipWrap's trial edition didn't accept it. I've also tried Acrok MXF Converter for Mac and Wondershare Video Converter.

I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Sony PMW-100 mp4.ewc2 video files won't import to Final Cut Pro X
on Apr 14, 2014 at 12:55:59 am

I had look it up, but those appear to be edius specific waveform files.

Try importing the "Sony" or "BPAV" folder.

Return to posts index

Alexander Freedman
on Apr 14, 2014 at 12:44:48 pm

Thanks Jeremy!

I'll give that a shot as soon as I get home for lunch today and will report back!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 14, 2014 at 4:18:39 pm

Also. what's in the TAKR folder?

My guess is that those two folders (CLIPR and TAKR) may be confusing FCPX.

It might be worth dragging those folders out of the file structure temporarily, and then try importing the Sony or BPAV folder.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Alexander Freedman
on Apr 14, 2014 at 6:02:48 pm

Well Jeremy,

I tried to import the BPAV folder and got this error message from FCPX:

It was the same with the CLRP folder. Here's an image of what's inside the TAKR folder:

It seems the TAKR has "Mountable Disc Images" in it. It seems like the CLRP folder contains all the video files so I'm not sure about removing it from the file structure, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Ahh! This is such a mess. I've also posted in the Grass Valley/Edius forums and will let you know if I get a response there. I think the camera somehow recorded in a Edius specific format and I just have to figure out how to convert it back... which I hope is possible :(

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 14, 2014 at 6:25:56 pm

So, what happens when you "Continue Import"? It should bring only the video files you need.

The other thing to do, is try to delete the ewc2 extension off of one of the files, and try to reimport that one file

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Alexander Freedman
on Apr 14, 2014 at 6:54:57 pm

Sadly, after hitting "Continue Import" it simply went back to the main FCP without importing any video :(

I'll double check it again when I get off of work and attempt the removal of the .ewc2 before import. I'm getting some bites on the same post I put in the Grass Valley/Edius forums. The people there are also puzzled and say the .ewc2 tag should be there yet. Ugh, story of my life haha

Thanks so much for all the help and I'll update you as soon as I get a chance to play around with it some more tonight!

Return to posts index

Alexander Freedman
on Apr 15, 2014 at 12:21:34 am

Success!

It turns out I was missing a plugin that Sony offers for FCPX. I've only used Canon cameras up to this point and never thought to check for Sony.

For future reference, the plugin the solved my problem is here:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/pdzk-lt2

Thanks so much for the assistance!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 15, 2014 at 12:45:54 am

Cool. I apologize for the goose chase, I thought that was avchd, not XDCam.

Good sleuthing!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]