FORUMS: list search recent posts

External monitors for Macbook Pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Strader
External monitors for Macbook Pro?
on Apr 11, 2014 at 6:55:15 pm

I was going to post this in the OSX forum but I figured editors would deal with this more often.

I'm configuring a Macbook Pro as I type this. I have all I need, and the External Thunderbolt monitor is just out of budget for me at this time.

Will any other external monitor work if I can find one for a more affordable price? As long as it has the same thunderbolt i/os? I wasn't sure if tb was proprietary to Apple or not , preventing external monitors from being able to plug in.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: External monitors for Macbook Pro?
on Apr 11, 2014 at 8:11:36 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Apr 11, 2014 at 8:38:08 pm

[Vincent Strader] "Will any other external monitor work if I can find one for a more affordable price?"
Yes, You can use any external monitor you want. I really like my ASUS ProArt PA246Q. It was 1/2 the price of a Cinema Display.
[Vincent Strader] "As long as it has the same thunderbolt i/os?"
Nope, no need. The Thunderbolt port on a MacBook Pro is actually a dual Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort. I have the Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter plugged into the Thunderbolt port of my 15-inch 2012 MacBook Pro and have no problems using it with any monitor (or projector for that matter) that has a DVI port.
[Vincent Strader] "I wasn't sure if tb was proprietary to Apple or not , preventing external monitors from being able to plug in."
No, Thunderbolt is not proprietary to Apple. It was worked on by Intel and is now showing up on PC's. Luckily the Thunderbolt port on the MacBook Pro is backward compatible with Mini DisplayPort on previous MacBook Pro's and there are a several of adapters to go from Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort, DVI. HDMI, even VGA (which looks horrible so don't use it). I don't know if all Thunderbolt ports also support Mini DisplayPort but the one on my MacBook Pro does.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Vincent Strader
on Apr 14, 2014 at 7:48:02 pm

Mr. Raghavan & Mr. Rofrano,
Thank you very much for your responses. I didn't buy yet over the weekend but I plan to this week. Just to be OCD clear, everything you two inform of is current with the most updated 13 or 15 inch MacBook Pros? I was confused a bit about the superdrive no longer being part of the newest 15 inch, but still on the 13 inch. Do I really need a 15 inch if I'm going to be using an external monitor?

Vinnie
---
24, LOST, Prison Break, FRINGE, Supernatural, DEXTER, Breaking Bad, CHUCK, Flash Forward, HEROES...even SMALLVILLE in the latter seasons.. they've all ruined my movie going experience by being better than so many movies out today.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 14, 2014 at 8:38:41 pm

[Vincent Strader] " Just to be OCD clear, everything you two inform of is current with the most updated 13 or 15 inch MacBook Pros?"
Yes, this is why I specifically said that mine was a Mid-2012 but I just checked the Apple site and they list the DisplayPort adapters as accessories when you buy a new MacBook Pro so I assume they still work the same way. You can always call your local Apple store to double check but they are clearly listed in the accessories when you buy.
[Vincent Strader] "I was confused a bit about the superdrive no longer being part of the newest 15 inch, but still on the 13 inch. Do I really need a 15 inch if I'm going to be using an external monitor?"
You have to weigh the pros and cons of a larger screen vs a SuperDrive. Will you always have an external monitor with you, or will you travel (or just walk around the house) with your MacBook? How many times will you say, "I wish I got the larger screen" as opposed to how many times will you say "I wish I had a DVD drive?". You can always buy the external USB SuperDrive for $79 and keep it in your laptop bag (it's really thin). You can never change to a larger display and it's not so easy to carry sound an external monitor. If I were you, I would go with the larger display but only you can make that decision.

~jr

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Apr 13, 2014 at 12:34:08 am

Just adding to what John says, I've been using the Mini Display to DVI and the Mini Display to VGA adapters for a while now without any hiccups. When I'm editing on-site, I get the facility provider to get me a VGA or DVI monitor as my 2nd monitor. The additional screen real estate is so worth it:)

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Mark McKeough
on Sep 13, 2014 at 8:27:11 pm

I have a question to build off of this. I've got a 2011 MBP and I'm currently using and external hard-drive in the Thunderbolt port. Will an off-brand monitor with MiniDisplay port work properly through daisy-chaining into the external HD? Does anyone ahve experience with this?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 14, 2014 at 8:05:20 pm

[Mark McKeough] "Will an off-brand monitor with MiniDisplay port work properly through daisy-chaining into the external HD? Does anyone ahve experience with this?"
That sounds like a question of the hard drive manufacturer. I found the following article which sheds some light on the topic:

Apple clarifies Thunderbolt Display will not daisy chain Cinema Display

The article states:
However, users with an existing Mini DisplayPort external monitor will not be able to daisy chain the screen from the back of the new Thunderbolt Display, despite it being physically compatible with the port. Apple notes that "Mini DisplayPort displays will not light up if connected to the Thunderbolt port on an Apple Thunderbolt Display."
This is why I say, it's a question for the hard drive manufacturer. You need to ask them, "Will Mini DisplayPort displays work if connected to the Thunderbolt port on their drives?" because you may get a different answer depending on the drive manufacturer.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]