FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I transfer a project (10.06) from one computer to another computer (10.1).

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pete Johnson
How do I transfer a project (10.06) from one computer to another computer (10.1).
on Apr 10, 2014 at 5:31:10 pm

I've copied it onto my hard drive but can't seem to get it into Final Cut Pro 10.1

Return to posts index

Don Smith
Re: How do I transfer a project (10.06) from one computer to another computer (10.1).
on Apr 10, 2014 at 5:41:39 pm

I'm a little unclear but it sounds like you have the old EVENT and PROJECT folders with a project inside of them and you want to move those folders to a different drive and use them in 10.1 which has a different file structure.

As long as those EVENT and PROJECT folders are on the drive where you want your new Library file to live then go to Final Cut men and click on the File menu at the top left and go down to nearly the bottom and pick 'Update Projects and Events..'

Final Cut will find the old PROJECTS and EVENT folders and offer to make a Library file out of them. At the end of the process it'll ask you to either Trash or Save the old PROJECTS and EVENTs. For now, Save them (doesn't take up additional space) to give you peace of mind but I've never had to go back to old save PROJECTS and EVENTS folders.

Everything should appear in your new Library file but depending on how you moved your media over you may have to reconnect some clips. You may have to also Consolidate IN on the Library as well.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Pete Johnson
Re: How do I transfer a project (10.06) from one computer to another computer (10.1).
on Apr 11, 2014 at 11:27:50 pm

Thanks for the info Don, I did what you suggested and everything worked except FCPX is saying that I'm missing some files, so I'm guessing I did not save the project correctly (from FCPX 10.06) to my external hard drive. Is there some specific/special way that I need to save the project in 10.06 so that I can take it to a different computer?

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Apr 12, 2014 at 12:09:27 pm

For FCPX 10.1 you only need to Finder copy a Library to another drive. That will take with it any MANAGED media (media inside the Library) but leaves any referenced EXTERNAL media in its place. Once a copy of the Library is on another drive open that copy and do the File > Relink Files... command. You may have to help it find the external media but the path its looking for will be visible at the bottom of the dialog box while you're searching for the missing files. Once you have all files relinked you might want to CONSOLIDATE IN the Library so it makes copies of any external media inside the Library so that media that was not managed before (the external media) will become MANAGED media. At that point the Library file is fully self-contained and you can further copy it to, say, a drive that travel so you can continue to edit the project on another computer.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]