FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tip if FCP X library won't open..

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
Tip if FCP X library won't open..
on Apr 9, 2014 at 6:31:08 pm

So I had my first freak out of FCP X the other day...

I was drawing a colour correction mask with Coremelt Slice X and the project froze and FCP quit. When I eventually got the project to reopen, two of the events were there but the third showed as an empty folder! Oh help..

The most recent backup wouldn't open but the previous one did and all was well.

I've just had a chance to do some investigation and looked in the dodgy library file. In the event that showed as empty everything I would have expected was in there but there was one file I couldn't see in the others. It was something along the lines of fcpjournal. Anyway I deleted it and the file open exactly as it had been before the crash.

I have no idea if this is a good or bad thing. It seemed to work for me but I've no idea of the ramifications so use at your own risk!!

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Tip if FCP X library won't open..
on Apr 9, 2014 at 7:22:20 pm

Always with the helpful tips!

That journal file is the temporary "scratch" file that gets written, and then replaces the .fcpevent file.

This means the FCPX crashed in the middle of saving for you.

Nice find!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 12, 2014 at 2:33:39 am

Michael

Thanks for posting the info here Michael. That's what makes this forum so helpful for so many of us.

BTW, I know the BBC is a huge place, but I spent a significant amount of drinking and hang time at this NAB with a senior editor from your side of the pond named Ben King - any acquaintance?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Cat Peterson
on Jul 30, 2014 at 7:32:09 pm

Hi Michael,

Have a similar problem.

At one moment, zero problems opening my Library -- a final edit for a 2-hour film -- the next, that ibrary won't open (tho' others will).

I don't seem to have that "journal" file you found.

Any thoughts about how I might get back into that Library?

Thanks!

Cat

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jul 31, 2014 at 10:15:36 pm

Hi Cat,

Sorry - no ideas then. What FCP X version are you on? My discovery was based on 10.9, so with the changes to the library system in 10.1.2 I suspect its all all a bit different.

All the best.

Michael

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]