FORUMS: list search recent posts

Take a sequence from Avid Media Composer to FCPX? Whats the best way?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Kavanagh
Take a sequence from Avid Media Composer to FCPX? Whats the best way?
on Apr 7, 2014 at 11:07:42 pm

So I'm taking a shine to FCPX and I want to continue a project on fcpx that I started in Avid Media Composer 7. What is the best way to do this? It's really just one sequence I'm trying to bring over, but if I can find an efficient way to do it I'll probably bring more. Everything has been transcoded to DNxHD files. So even trying to go from Avid to FCP7 to FCPX seems pretty fruitless because I just get offline clips when I get the sequence to FCP7. I'm hoping that I'm missing a step that could bring me to the promise land without having to do stuff the hard way.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Take a sequence from Avid Media Composer to FCPX? Whats the best way?
on Apr 7, 2014 at 11:25:11 pm

Depends on where and what the media is. I would suggest AAF to Resolve. Render ProRes and export an FCPXML from Resolve. If media is external and linked using AMA, then you might be able to do this without rendering.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Kavanagh
on Apr 7, 2014 at 11:43:44 pm

The media varies, some of it is P2, some is mp4 from dslr. I brought everything into Avid via AMA linking then Transcoded it all to DNxHD in Avid.
Someone mentioned a Resolve workflow to me, but they said I wouldn't be able to get audio to come through that workflow. Granted video is better than nothing but do you know if it's possible to get audio through the Davinci workflow. Or is there a workflow in Avid that would allow me to replace all the media in a sequence with AMA linked media, then let me send it to fcp7, then finally to fcpx?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 7, 2014 at 11:50:42 pm

I'm not sure about source audio, because the transcoding to DNxHD will have split the audio and video into separate files. Resolve will render individual clips, but this means audio is not attached. It might still work in the roundtrip, but all audio would be connected clips. You'll just have to experiment.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]