FORUMS: list search recent posts

Organization Events vs. Libraries

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Renny McCauley
Organization Events vs. Libraries
on Apr 7, 2014 at 5:51:33 pm

I'm editing a feature doc in FCPX with a lot of footage and materials. The film was started in Premiere, but we hit an unsolvable technical issue with Premiere and so we moved it to FCPX in a late rough cut stage. Compared to Premiere, FCPX is painfully slow right now.

I'm working on some ways to speed things up. I'll be converting the raw H264 files to Proxy and maxing out my ram. I've also divided the film into 20 minute segments. But I'm starting to think that a big problem is the shear amount of material in the project. What I think could help is hiding materials that I don't currently need. Basically I have an even for interviews, an event for observational footage, an event for archival, an event for selects, an event for archived sequences. I'm wondering if placing these in different libraries is preferable?

I know there's a workaround to hide the events in the finder which I'm fine with, but just wondering having separate libraries for one project is a good choice.

Renny

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Organization Events vs. Libraries
on Apr 7, 2014 at 7:23:53 pm

[Renny McCauley] "I know there's a workaround to hide the events in the finder which I'm fine with, but just wondering having separate libraries for one project is a good choice."

Not in 10.1.1. That was possible before the Library structure. What version of X are you on, and on what machine? I know there are a bunch of folks here doing the same types of projects as you, hopefully someone will chime in.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Renny McCauley
on Apr 7, 2014 at 7:38:14 pm

I'm on 10.1.1. I'm on a new iMac 3.5 ghz/24gb Ram and working off an external Thunderbolt Lacie which I think is a single drive, not a RAID, but I'll be updating to a 3-drive Thunderbolt RAID tomorrow. I do see that hiding events is not an option. I've moved my main edit sequences into a new library and things do seem a little zippier. So I guess the separate library is a good idea. I'll see how it responds to pulling clips from the other libraries.

Renny

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 7, 2014 at 7:42:58 pm

[Renny McCauley] " So I guess the separate library is a good idea. I'll see how it responds to pulling clips from the other libraries."

Cool. The only downside to pulling from other libraries is an alert pops up warning you that you're copying media from one library to another. Every freaking time - please send feedback to Apple! :-) . If you're not already, I'd suggest *not* using managed media (meaning stored in the actual library) because it will make a duplicate of every clip you bring in. If media is external it's no big deal as it just creates tiny symlinks in the target library.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 7, 2014 at 7:59:05 pm

Unless i missed it: How many gigs of media are we talking about?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Renny McCauley
on Apr 7, 2014 at 8:19:56 pm

Yeah, the warning box is quite annoying.

I've got approximately 4tb of original media.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 7, 2014 at 8:32:21 pm

[Renny McCauley] "Yeah, the warning box is quite annoying.
"

Yep. Please do send feedback. I've suggested either a standard "Do Not Warn Me Again" checkbox, or the ability to designate a Library as a "Source" Library so the warning isn't triggered. I get why it's there, particularly if you use managed media, but it should be able to be overridden somehow...

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 7, 2014 at 9:34:57 pm

Are the 4TB stored in the library (managed) or linked to an external location? If your importing all that media into the library, I would suggest storing it elsewhere- a fast external thunderbolt raid holding at least 20% more than the 4TB. The 3 drive thunderbolt raid should do it assuming its at least 6TB. You might try trashing FCP preferences as well.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Renny McCauley
on Apr 7, 2014 at 9:53:46 pm

Craig-The media is stored outside the library and I haven't created any proxy or prores media yet. The new RAID will be 9tb. I plan to move the FCP library to the new drive and create proxy and/or prores media to keep on the new drive. The old drive will keep the originals.

After I cut down the size of my library, the project started moving pretty smoothly. Unfortunately, I still need to access the slow library when I'm trying to dig up new footage.

Renny

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 7, 2014 at 10:14:44 pm

Thumbnail and waveform creation seems to be (I have no hard evidence, just experience) what slows FCPX down.

Once those elements are all made (and with 4TBs of media, it will take a while) performance increases.

Also, toggling the inspector closed, and closing the timeline index helps.

As well as this tidbit: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/344/28466

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Renny McCauley
on Apr 8, 2014 at 1:29:40 am

Thanks for the tips Jeremy!

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 8, 2014 at 2:02:13 am

I[Renny McCauley] "I haven't created any proxy or prores media yet."

Then I'm not sure how you are judging the speed of FCP X. I would try ProRes 422 first and if that is too slow then try proxy. Your new drive will be a huge factor as well.
If the library only contains links to the media files, I think you'd be fine with one library.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Apr 8, 2014 at 7:14:30 am

May I ask... what's the lesson here?

It seems to me that there would be a great benefit to having all of your media in one library. It seems that having separate events means you don't need to load all of your material in the event browser at once, you can keep it down to one event at a time.

At what point do things get bogged down in FCPX?

It seems that using the original media would also be beneficial. Optimizing the media would help functionality, but it would require a great deal of transcoding and hard drive space. Proxy footage speeds up the editing process, but again requires a great deal of transcoding, and you need to create proxies of everything, correct? I tried using proxy footage one time, and I just created proxies of the footage with the largest bandwidth, but when I switched to proxy editing, the footage without proxies went offline. Has this changed?

Again, it seems like if you have a box with a good processor, and a fast raid, you should be in good shape, until your library or timeline becomes so large, the database gets bogged down.

Most of my edits are 5 minutes or under, so I haven't run into those kind of problems yet. How much can we push things?

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Apr 8, 2014 at 2:01:55 pm

I agree with Mark. I'm editing a project with thousands of clips in the Library. The speed is no different than having a few clips in the Library. Only the thumbnails are kept in memory, not the clips themselves. However, 'no different' and 'full performance' are not the same as I'll explain below.

That's my home system.

On my old Mac Pro at work I sometimes have a half a dozen big projects open. No speed difference.

My take-away is that there are other factors at work if FCPX bogs down. I'm facing the slow-down problem on my brand new 2013 Mac Pro at home. It's not performing better than my 2008 work Mac Pro which has a fraction of the RAM. And, my new Mac Pro is maxed out. 12 cores, 64GB Ram, D700 graphic cards, etc. My new Mac Pro is connected to a new Promise Raid R6 with Thunderbolt 2. It should be SCREAMING but something, SOMETHING is slowing it down. I'm on the trail. My point in all this is that performance on a given system doesn't seem to change whether the Library has a few clips or thousands. That's my experience anyway.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]