FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a way to playback 2 different frame rates (ex. 24 fps, 60 fps) in FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pete Johnson
Is there a way to playback 2 different frame rates (ex. 24 fps, 60 fps) in FCPX?
on Apr 5, 2014 at 6:17:07 pm

What I'm trying to do is have the majority of my project playback at 24 fps but there's a part where the scene changes totally and I want that played back at a high framerate like 60 fps so that it will have a different feel and a different motion blur quality.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Is there a way to playback 2 different frame rates (ex. 24 fps, 60 fps) in FCPX?
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:07:57 pm

Did you shoot 24p and 60p as well?

If so, work in a 60p timeline.

If you didn't, you'll have to post process the 24p to get it to look like it was shot with a higher frame rate.

Telestream Episode has a few options for this.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Is there a way to playback 2 different frame rates (ex. 24 fps, 60 fps) in FCPX?
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:09:57 pm

Argh. Missed it by that much. 26 seconds actually.

Return to posts index

Pete Johnson
on Apr 6, 2014 at 1:56:34 am

I shot in both 24 fps and 60 fps. I just tried what you suggested and that seems to work although I haven't tried it with footage that has a lot of movement in it yet. I'm a little confused though, if the project is playing back at 60 fps and I am playing back a clip that is 24 fps the timecode is still showing 60 frames every second so how does that work?
Also, where can I find the Telestream episode?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 6, 2014 at 2:18:06 am

[Pete Johnson] "timecode is still showing 60 frames every second so how does that work?"

Fcpx adds progressive 3:2 pulldown. If you go through frame by frame, you'll see three repeat frames followed by two repeat frames.

If you shot 60 and 24p, you won't need Episode, but it's here: http://www.telestream.net/episode/overview.htm

Return to posts index

Pete Johnson
on Apr 6, 2014 at 6:11:22 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "If you shot 60 and 24p, you won't need Episode"

What if I shoot different framerates other than 60 or 24p will it still work the same way? Also, with the repeated frames added does the motion blur look the same as what you'd typically get from 24p?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 6, 2014 at 1:36:46 pm

It will work the same way, but it will best to keep in the NTSC rates so your only other option is really 29.97.

That leaves 23.98, 29.97, and 59.94 and then work in a 59.94 timeline (720p).

The pulldown will keep the 23.98 characteristics, yes.

Return to posts index

Pete Johnson
on Apr 7, 2014 at 4:01:41 am

Thank you Jeremy for all the helpful information.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:08:23 pm

Nope. And if it could, I don't know of any file format , TV, or player that could support multiple frame rates.

But you're overthinking it. Just work in a 60p sequence, or 1080i if it's for broadcast, and any 24p material will still playback with the same 24p look (with pulldown added) and any 60p material will playback as 60p.

Return to posts index

Pete Johnson
on Apr 6, 2014 at 2:19:40 am

"and any 24p material will still playback with the same 24p look (with pulldown added)"

What is "pulldown" and how do I add it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]