FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow? Canon 5d -> .CR2 files vs. .MOV files -> off-line edit -> high quality uncompressed final cut?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nancy Kiang
Workflow? Canon 5d -> .CR2 files vs. .MOV files -> off-line edit -> high quality uncompressed final cut?
on Apr 1, 2014 at 6:12:57 pm

Hi, could someone outline for me the workflow to get the highest quality video from a Canon 5d to the final cut in FCPX?

I shot a short film on the Canon 5d, which produces high quality .CR2 (Canon RAW version 2) files that cannot be imported directly by FCPX (according to my understanding so far). The DP exported .MOV files, which I've been using for off-line editing (1080p h.264 format in my FCPX project). Now I'm wondering how to use the .CR2 files for the final output for high-quality video?

The .CR2 files do not seem to correspond 1-1 with the .MOV files.

Thank you for any step-by-step outline of how to use the .CR2 files.

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: Workflow? Canon 5d -> .CR2 files vs. .MOV files -> off-line edit -> high quality uncompressed final cut?
on Apr 1, 2014 at 6:40:03 pm

Aren't the CR2 files raw stills and not video? If so, you should be able to open them in Preview and resave as TIFF.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Workflow? Canon 5d -> .CR2 files vs. .MOV files -> off-line edit -> high quality uncompressed final cut?
on Apr 1, 2014 at 7:43:33 pm

The .mov files ARE the high-quality video files. The .CR2 files are simply still photos taken at the same time. They have nothing to do with the video, although you might be able to integrate them as stills with motion (a la the "Ken Burns' effect).

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Nancy Kiang
on Apr 1, 2014 at 10:07:15 pm

Ah, thanks for enlightening me. Glad I don't have to wrangle with another format!
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 2, 2014 at 12:24:40 am

And just to go a step further, Nancy, the MOV files out of a 5dMkii are H-264 encoded at 100Mbps max. So three's absolutely no reason to try to hassle with editing them in an actual uncompressed timeline. You'll gain nothing but grief.

Use Optimize Media in FCP-X to transcode them into ProRes and the new container will have all the data that the original files recorded and be much easier to edit with since they'll be in FCP-X's native format.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]