FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving compound clip to multicam

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Helton
Moving compound clip to multicam
on Apr 1, 2014 at 3:39:28 am

Needing a little help from the professional community...

I recently did an interview for a 6-piece country band. I had 3 cameras and 3 audio tracks that I synced via PluralEyes. The band's manager sent me lots of notes of which pieces to pull from this 2 hour interview, so instead of risking any tracks getting out of sync after import to FCPX, I made all 6 tracks a compound clip. I then trimmed this compound clip down to about 50 mins of content that was requested, thinking it'd be easy to angle edit later since it's synced (I guess I was cutting it in the same way I would a multicam clip... oops). It took a bit of time, so I'm wondering if there's any way to get this edited compound clip to the multicam editor?? I'm thinking there must be an easy way! In hindsight, I should've set this up differently, but I'm wondering if any of you pros can save me some time! Much appreciated! And let me know if I need to explain better!

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Moving compound clip to multicam
on Apr 1, 2014 at 6:38:00 am

Here's what I'd try.

Open up your compound clip so you can view all the clips. Select time where all the tracks are visible and add a marker to all the tracks. This way if they get out of sync when transferring to your multi clip, you'll be able to resync them without issue.

Copy one angle (cmd+c). Select any clip in your event browser, right click and create a multi clip. You can't create an empty multi clip but you can make one from a single clip. Open the multi clip in the angle viewer. Delete the angle that you used to create the multi clip. Paste the copied clip into the angle. Add a new angle. Go back to your compound and copy / paste each angle into the multi clip. Make sure that the markers line up.

Hope this helps.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Josh Helton
on Apr 1, 2014 at 2:50:18 pm

Andy,

Thanks so much for the advice! That's awesome, and it works to get those angles to a multicam! Do you think there's any way to also retain the edits on made on the compound clip itself? From my understanding of how the compound clip works (which may not be accurate), it seems that all edits made to the CC itself do not affect the "source" tracks. I edited the compound clip down, but when I double click on a piece from it, it just takes me to the timeline/project of the original footage with in/out points. Is there any way to preserve those edits on the CC through this strategy of moving the angles to a multicam? Andy, thanks so much for the response!

- Josh

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 1, 2014 at 5:09:17 pm

If you're talking about editing a compound into a project and then making cuts in the project, then no, those cuts won't translate to the multiclip. But you could just leave those cuts as they are and work with a multicam clip for the rest of your edit.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Josh Helton
on Apr 1, 2014 at 9:23:31 pm

Cool, that's what I figured. Thanks so much for your help Andy. You're the man.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]