FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Updates wish list from a one week edit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
FCP Updates wish list from a one week edit
on Mar 30, 2014 at 4:03:37 pm

Seems like a slow weekend, so thought I'd post this...

A few weeks ago I decided to make a list of every want or need as I came across it during a one week edit. Since these are quick notes roughly categorized, I apologize if they don't completely make sense. I don't remember what I was talking about in a few of them. There are of course many other things I'd like to add or change, but the exercise was to only take note of what I needed on a fairly standard one week corporate edit. It was motion template heavy, but not color correction heavy or audio sweeting heavy. I'd post it but it was an internal piece.

I'm sure I could come up with a similarly long list in Premiere or Legacy. Without further ado-

FCP Update wish list from a one week edit:

TRIMMING
Trimming/Sliding on client monitor
Trimming/Sliding 4 UP display
Trimming/Sliding same features in keyboard entry mode as mouse mode
Trim multiple layers at once
Dynamic Trimming

MATCHFRAME
go back to keyword collection it came from
make it OBVIOUS which clip it is. Hard to see in thumb mode
Don’t constrain to in/out

BROWSER
Multiple Browser windows
“Thumbnail” as a column choice in list view

EFFECTS WINDOW
Add a list view to effects window
Favorites and or Project fx
FX saved with project somehow

COLOR CORRECTION
Mask tracking and custom shape
on/off toggle on every board

INSPECTOR-
VIDEO
Leave the blend modes and opacity at the TOP
(and for that matter, put them back in the timeline with a right click)
Copy/Paste/Drag filters and settings right in/from the inspector

TRANSITIONS
Need start on edit, end on edit, center on edit options

PASTE ATTRIBUTES
Add back "paste content”

SELECTING
Let me marquee a group of secondary timelines
Select/Marquee select multiple trim/transition points (for adding transitions or trimming)

SAFE GUIDES
Should be shown on client monitor
Snap to grid/rulers

FX
Basic X and Y rotation added to Z rotation
Drop Shadow FX heads up controls shouldn’t be shown if clip not selected - ditto with all fx

TRANSFORM TOOLS
Better shift to lock X/Y
Proper ease controls
Nudge position in viewer with arrows (like option + arrows in legacy)

INTERFACE
Tabbed Projects (sequences)
Ganging
Turning off connections visibility should also compress vertical space
A mode where all clips are expanded all the time so you don’t have to expand each clip as it’s place in sequence
Clip height hot keys

SNAPPING
Allow shift to be held to snap to vertical when option is being held to duplicate and clip is being dragged up or down

COMPOUND CLIPS
Double click into clip takes you to same frame from external sequence

EVENT VIEWER
Scrub bar/thumbs in window
Ability to drag from window
Ability to show a clip/frame from the sequence with all effects applied, for color correction reference or edit into separate sequence

TIMECODE
Copy and Paste TC
Need a “counter” mode instead of just TC.

Caps lock to disable rendering/animation while moving things around

PREFERENCES
Playback offset adjustment to keep external monitor in sync

SOUND
Sound should be routed to the output device. Shouldn’t have to select it in os prefs and share with os system sounds

AUDIO TOOLS
Give me a keyframe bar/line to pull up/down volume in thumb/list view on audio to adjust in event - why not adjust/keyframe audio here?

HAND TOOL
Moves the sequence the wrong way vertically, but correctly horizontally WTF?

SYNC MARKERS
Show where detached audio is out of sync

SCOPES
Multiple scopes at once

MOTION
Open in Motion for templates already put in timeline
Send to motion for sections of timeline

TITLES
Should add the effect to titles, not the title to the effect (not holding my breath) IOW you make a text, then apply an animation to it like in motion or LiveType

KEYFRAMES
Delete key should delete highlighted keyframes, not the clip

EXPORT
Show the background process window even when FCP X is just a background window

MEDIA MANAGEMENT
Have a “consolidate files” checkbox anytime you duplicate a library, or create a new library from a project

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: FCP Updates wish list from a one week edit
on Mar 30, 2014 at 4:58:19 pm

Can really disagree with what you have here except for a few that I think are unnecessary and a couple I think are extremely unlikely due to how the GUI is designed. So, I'll add a couple that I'd like to see as well.

Proper playhead to playhead replace edit.

Multi-tiered matchframe. IE: Matchframe a multiclip and it takes you to the multi clip in the browser. Matchframe from there and it takes you to the original source clip used in the multi clip. Same with compounds.

Sort by Unused clips.

When you clear an IN/OUT from a clip in the browser, I'd like the playhead position to NOT be reset to the beginning of the clip. If I want to start from the beginning, I'll hit the HOME key.

Project scrubbing in the event browser.

Project to project editing. IE: project treated like a clip in the browser.

When a clip is selected (C) and you blade that clip, the clip to the RIGHT of the playhead should remain selected, not the LEFT. I don't know what they were thinking with that.

Ability to put overlapping connected clips into a secondary storyline.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 30, 2014 at 5:20:36 pm

All excellent adds. My list was just an exercise in what came to mind as I came across them over a week. Certainly a few are unlikely, and had it been a multicam project the list would've been different.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 30, 2014 at 5:39:37 pm

Regarding your "apply effect" to text request. That's one of those that I doubt will ever happen due to how Motion and FCPX interact with one another. However, you can customize some animation by using the basic title. And personally, I built a title effect in Motion that contains a drop down menu of my most used text animations so I can apply a single text element and animate it a number of ways. Might be an adequate solution.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Mar 30, 2014 at 7:33:06 pm

Playhead resetting at the head of the clip is one of the most annoying behaviors in the software!

Matchframe to orignal clip from multi clip. Allow CC grouping of multi clips. Allow Optical flow and stabilization of multi-clips!

Trimming:
A real extend edit that doesn't require clicking on the edit point first. Premiere stole it from Avid. Please do the same Apple! Select nearest edit trim.

Media Management:
Used media only consolidation.
External Render, proxy, and trascoded files from the library.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 30, 2014 at 9:13:03 pm

Good thoughts all. If you're not aware of them, CoreMelt's SliceX and TrackX (both powered by Mocha) are tremendous tools and not too expensive. They each paid for themselves the first time I used them.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 30, 2014 at 10:43:41 pm

That's one of those I wasn't sure what I had meant. But I think you got it. And yeah, not holding my breath.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]