FORUMS: list search recent posts

Old or new MacBook for FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Øystein Rabbe
Old or new MacBook for FCPX?
on Mar 29, 2014 at 6:40:34 pm

Right now I have a Mac Pro 2x4-Core (Mid-2010) that I have for sale. Some guy has offered me to do a trade for his MacBook Pro 15" from april 2012.
I originally had it for sale, but he suggested the trade. As I am planning to sell my Mac Pro to buy a portable, this could be handy I figured.

Would this machine do a good job with FCPX? Or is it smarter to rather save up some more money and buy the new retina macbook pro?
I have heard that at least on the MacPros you dont get the benefit of FCPX at all because its too old in its infrastructure. Is that the same for MacBooks from 2012?

Would love to get some advice.

The serialnumber for the MacBook Pro is: C02H189ADV7M

Return to posts index

Joe Castellano
Re: Old or new MacBook for FCPX?
on Mar 29, 2014 at 7:17:28 pm

Get the latest MacBook pro retina with the SSD drive. Make sure it's Thunderbolt 2 and has the newest screen in it.
The 2013 models have image retention issues.

Buy the FireWire to Thunderbolt adaptor for any legacy drives.

Do not trade away your tower for an old MacBook. Just upgrade it's system drive with an SSD.
Card slots are non-existent on the new Mac Pro.

Enjoy the speed moving forward!

Return to posts index

Øystein Rabbe
on Mar 29, 2014 at 7:27:47 pm

Thanks for advice. I already have another MacPro (same spec) that I am going to keep, so Ill sell or trade this one anyway. But you say I would get way more for the money rather saving up to buy the newest?

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Mar 29, 2014 at 7:50:23 pm

FCPX's performance requires the fastest GPU possible. A Mac Pro's GPU can be upgraded. A MacBook Pro's cannot. So by trading for the MacBook Pro you're getting a non-upgradeable GPU from a few years ago. Not ideal for X today and definitely not for tomorrow. Much better for X would be either getting a new Mac Pro or putting in a 2GB+ graphics card into your older Mac Pro.

Return to posts index

Øystein Rabbe
on Mar 29, 2014 at 8:09:27 pm

Thanks. I am not sure if you understand my question though.

I have 2 Mac Pros. I am going to sell 1 of them.
I want to buy a Mac Book Pro to be portable and still edit in FCPX.
A guy offered me to trade one of my MacPros (Mid-2010) for his MacBookPro (Early-2012).

I am still going to keep one of my MacPros, but want to find a solution for a portable. Is it worth trading a 2010-MacPro for a 2012-MacBookPro or should I rather buy the new Retina?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Mar 29, 2014 at 9:19:53 pm

For what it's worth, I regularly edit on a 2011 13" MacBook Pro with 4gb of RAM and a 2013 11" MacBook Air with 8gb RAM. I wouldn't want to edit on them every day but they work as a portable solution for occasional use. I have used a 2013 MacBook Pro with retina display and haven't really noticed any great difference in performance for the stuff I edit.

It will come down to what you're cutting, how often you need to use it, and what you consider 'acceptable' performance.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Robert Gilman
on Mar 29, 2014 at 8:12:20 pm

I upgraded my MacPro 2008 with a SSD and a second 5770 GPU and it has given the old machine new life for FCPX. You might find this thread (http://www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/18806-dual-gpus-in-old-classic-mac-pros) interesting if you want to upgrade your MacPro.

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Mar 31, 2014 at 2:33:08 am

Check the GPU in the one you're trading for. If you have the budget, selling the Mac Pro and buying a brand new 15" Retina will serve you longer and faster though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]