FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connected clips below main story line

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Smith
Connected clips below main story line
on Mar 29, 2014 at 2:23:25 pm

This might be a silly question, but what are the advantages of having a connected clip below the main story line?

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
Re: Connected clips below main story line
on Mar 29, 2014 at 2:46:53 pm

Green Screen, you can cut all of your dialogue in the main track and then add your green screen images below it.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 29, 2014 at 3:03:09 pm

As I pointed out in an earlier thread, it can also take the place of compound clips. Instead of transitioning to a multilayered composition, where say, all the 8 layers need to fade on together (which doesn't really look right), you can place all 8 below the primary, and simply fade out the main narrative in the primary, revealing the composition beneath. Alternatively, you could place the 8 layers in a compound clip and place it above the primary to fade it on, but many don't like using compounds.

To do the same thing in legacy or other NLEs, you'd either have to move all the tracks up 8 tracks, just to get the 8 layers beneath the dialog previously on track 1, OR, you'd have to slice a portion of track on and place it on track 9 so you could fade out to the 8 layers beneath. Neither is a very organized proposition.

Once you realize the primary is not V1, it's a bit liberating.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 29, 2014 at 5:47:52 pm

[Bret Williams] "Once you realize the primary is not V1, it's a bit liberating."

Very true. That should be your signature. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Mar 29, 2014 at 6:02:17 pm

I'm not sure I understand completely, maybe I have to try some things out. Any suggestions about what might be a good example of something to try?

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Mar 29, 2014 at 7:52:54 pm
Last Edited By James Cude on Mar 29, 2014 at 7:53:12 pm

Put a green screen shot in the primary and then connect a clip below it- that's pretty eye opening. The primary storyline isn't the bottom layer of your video as it is in all other NLEs. In X it's just the ground floor of a building that can have many subterranean levels (should you need them).

Return to posts index

tony west
on Mar 31, 2014 at 1:45:26 pm

It's also a way to do a quick split edit.

I often want to hear a person's voice before I see them on camera and I will just drag a clip under another one.

Say that there is a b-roll shot on the main and I want to hear the next interview under that b-roll before I see them.

You can just drag that interview under the clip ahead of it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]