FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blade at current frame (default seems to be previous frame?)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Crowell
Blade at current frame (default seems to be previous frame?)
on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:38:46 pm
Last Edited By Justin Crowell on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:51:38 pm

Hi all,
I've noticed a bizarre behavior that is driving me nuts. When I stop playback, FCPX is showing the current from. When I turn on the blade tool and move my cursor into the timeline, it snaps back to the previous frame (shown in the timeline by the blue highlight, and also shown in the viewer). So, when I blade, it blades the frame before the frame that I had stopped on, which seems so bizarre to me....how could that be useful?

Also...I'd like to set my roll point and move it from the keyboard...any way to do this?

EDIT: It appears that this is affected by where exactly your blade tool is, even within the area that it snaps to your playhead. That's completely annoying for me...when I find a cut point by going frame-by-frame with the keyboard, I want to cut AT that frame, and not have to zoom all the way in. But I can't trust it to properly snap to the playhead. This...this is stupid...

Editor, Producer, DP
JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Blade at current frame (default seems to be previous frame?)
on Mar 28, 2014 at 8:09:01 pm

Have you tried cmd+b? That will cut at the frame you're on. IOW, when it splits into 2 clips, the frame you're seeing should be the first frame of the second clip. Is that not the result you're looking for? Snapping should follow this behavior but I don't use the blade tool much.

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Mar 28, 2014 at 8:13:31 pm

Unfortunately, I can't use command+B for this because I have a layer above my main video for a graphic with an alpha channel. So that's what it cuts automatically.

It SHOULD be parked at the first frame of the second clip, but it actually ends up parking at the second frame. This behavior is totally unique to FCPX, and IMHO, completely useless. It also strikes me that I should be able to use the blade tool if I want to...if not, why is it there?

Here are a couple of photos of what I'm talking about.

Editor, Producer, DP
JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 28, 2014 at 8:19:07 pm

Cmd+b blades whatever clip you have selected. Or, you can scrub and blade the clip you like without selecting it by scrubbing with cmd+opt+s mode, where you can scrub individual clips. In that mode it'll slice right where you're at without switching to blade, and without selecting the clip.

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Mar 28, 2014 at 8:26:57 pm

I don't want to have to select a clip. I want to watch, hit spacebar when I'm close, move frame by frame with arrow keys, grab mouse and blade. The point is to not do any mouse scrubbing, so I can be as exact as I want. This is pretty simply done in Legacy and PPro.

Editor, Producer, DP
JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 28, 2014 at 8:35:45 pm

You're already using the mouse, so why not use it to select the clip and press cmd+b instead of trying to use the blade tool, which has always been the more inaccurate tool, especially in CS6, and IMO in legacy and other NLEs. But if the snapping is different in X, it might be a new bug, as I hadn't noticed an issue before.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 29, 2014 at 12:05:01 am

Does the footage and timeline frame rate match? The timeline ruler at the top looks exactly the same.

Do you have sub frames on? Sometimes the skimmer is in between video frames and when you cut, it will cut on a whole frame.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]