FORUMS: list search recent posts

Large Timecode Window Trick

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders M
Large Timecode Window Trick
on Mar 28, 2014 at 1:03:57 am

Hi,

One of the things I miss from Avid in fcpx is the nice big scalable timecode window. This is quite essential when you work in a team where more people need to be able to see the timecode. As far as I know the only solution in fcpx is to add the timecode plugin on your clips and scale that up.

I stumbled upon an Apple app called "Pixie" from the "Graphics Tools for Xcode" which is found on Apples developer site. This app can enlarge a part of your screen and display it in an always on top window.

Just start the app, go to settings and turn off "Enable Development Mode" to get rid of the overlays, scale your window to your size and choose zoom level.
By default it follows the mouse, so just aim at the timecode and lock the axis with CMD+X and CMD+Y. If it gets in the way, just select it and CMD+H to hide it. Or just move it...

The numbers is quite low res from the scaling, but it is probably better on a Retina.
Not a perfect solution, but a good tip I think!

I attached a picture of it in action.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
Re: Large Timecode Window Trick
on Mar 29, 2014 at 12:48:40 pm

Very cool, thanks. Can you determine the size of the window?

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Anders M
on Mar 29, 2014 at 4:24:36 pm

Yes, you can. You can scale the window and set magnification level.
There is however a minimum size of the window, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 30, 2014 at 8:51:50 pm

Nice. There used to be a plugin for FCP 7 called BigTime from Digital Heaven. Unfortunately they haven't ported it to FCPX.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]