FORUMS: list search recent posts

Library filling up with original media

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Eades
Library filling up with original media
on Mar 27, 2014 at 9:44:14 pm

Ok so here is my general workflow with FCPX.

I put all my media for a project in a scratch folder on my hard drive.

I then import it into a new event in a library (each client has their own library with different videos each having their own event) but check the box that says 'leave files in place'.

However, the size of my libraries are hundreds of GBs, and when I open the package contents, there is an original media folder that is 250gbs. That's what I was trying to avoid by keeping all the files in a scratch folder and then checking the leave files in place box. Basically, the media is stored in 2 places, the library and the scratch folder, rather than the library just referencing the media from the scratch folder, which is what I want it to do.

Now, I understand why it does this seemingly by default, but I can't figure out how to stop it copying the media into it's own original media folder, rather than it just letting me store media in my scratch folder, and FCP just reference it from there.

My reasoning for this, is purely down to trying to keep as much hard drive space as possible.

Any ideas on this?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Library filling up with original media
on Mar 28, 2014 at 5:59:19 am

What is the format of the original camera files that you imported? If the files are not ones that FCPX can play back natively, then they'll require transcoding. However, if you properly indicated in the import dialogue that the files were to remain in place, the original files folder should contain sim links, not actual qts.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

James Eades
on Mar 28, 2014 at 7:37:35 pm

They are mov files from a 5D mark iii

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 29, 2014 at 3:34:55 am

I think this is an import bug that has been mentioned before. How are you importing the files? Through the import dialog, right? Try importing them by just dragging them from the finder to the event or keyword collection. That's how I do it and I've never had it copy it. Make sure your default prefs are to leave files in place. You really don't need to use the import dialog unless it's a format that you can't play back natively in the finder. The 5D makes basic QT .mov files that you can play in the finder.

Return to posts index

James Eades
on Mar 29, 2014 at 3:40:35 am

Yeah I guess I'll try that seeing as I do use the import dialogue.

Next thing, if I delete the media in the original media folder, FCP freaks out and thinks everything is gone. When I relink the media using the original scratch media, it calms down but then copies everything back into a new original media folder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]