FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro x dual or quad mac book pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Ward
Final Cut Pro x dual or quad mac book pro?
on Mar 27, 2014 at 6:21:00 am

I'm thinking of getting a MacBook Pro and would eventually like to put fcpx on it. Is a quad core processor really necessary to run fcpx? tks

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Final Cut Pro x dual or quad mac book pro?
on Mar 27, 2014 at 2:34:09 pm

So you're considering doing all of your editing on a 13" laptop? That's not a lot of screen space....

The CPU matters more for exporting (though with GPU processing speeding up that's becoming less and less the case). I always tell people to buy the fastest they can afford because if you keep this laptop for several years the mid-range now will be sluggish in 18 months. Top of the line now is fast and in 18 months it'll be a mid-range computer.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Eric Ward
on Mar 27, 2014 at 4:05:28 pm

Thanks Ryan.

I was reading in apple discussions that fcpx does not even use all 4 of the cores in a quad core machine. I can't verify this to be fact though. But if it is true, and a quad core 15 is almost double the price of a dual 13, I would rather just replace with another $1300 machine years down the road, then to buy a $2000 or $2600 machine now. I would connect the 13 macbook pro to my 27 cinema display to view fcpx.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Mar 27, 2014 at 4:15:12 pm

That's certainly an option. Only caution is that with a 13" MBP you're getting an integrated graphics chip so realtime playback of clips with effects could suffer (depending on the type of footage, the effect applied, etc.).

Stepping into the 15" MBP's you can choose to get a dedicated GPU which will help with smoother playback, as well as encoding/transcoding footage. Personally, I think the more horsepower the better. But if you're just cutting DV25 footage then a 13" MBP should be fine. It really depends on your needs and your budget.

You could also look at getting a refurbished MBP from Apple or buy a used computer on eBay or Craigslist as other options.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Mar 28, 2014 at 2:46:55 am

It's really the GPU that matter more than the CPU as far as FCPX is concerned. Therefor a 15" MBP, an iMac or a new Mac Pro in order of power are what you want to get the most of FCPX. The 13" GPU is at the lower end of performance for Macs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]