FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multicam issue with Canon 5D Mark III

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
Multicam issue with Canon 5D Mark III
on Mar 26, 2014 at 9:33:39 pm

So I've been converting over past projects to the new format. They still have all their media online. But pre-10.1 multi cam projects are causing a problem. Many of our shoots were Canon 5D mark III and Mark II shoots. The Mark II stuff if relinking just fine. But none of the Mark III footage will relink. And I think I've figured out why. Pre 10.1 FCP didn't read the timecode of the Mark III. But in FCP 10.1, it reads the timecode! So there isn't a matching range (which is the error it gives). WTF?

Here's a screen shot showing the missing clip, and right below it I have re-imported the missing file, where it has perfect time of day timecode. The way it used to work in FCP 7 when you used log and capture. Great. But it sure isn't helping. Am I screwed? These are just backups and if I ever had to make a change I could certainly redo things, but geez. What a mess. You can see that the duration is exactly the same. Creation date is the same. It's just one has TC and the other starts at 0:00. Other projects are showing the same symptoms. Mark III doesn't relink.

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: Multicam issue with Canon 5D Mark III
on Mar 27, 2014 at 4:42:01 pm

Unfortunately you've hit a bit of a roadblock due to how timecode is handled in Canon footage coming from older versions of FCPX to now.

Once the project is in that state, the best option would be to reimport and replace the clip in the edit.

The other option- go back to zero timecode- would be to open the file with QuickTime Player 7 (which means you both have to download that separately, and activate it with the Quicktime Pro key). http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3678

Then delete the timecode track on the file (and save the file, of course). If it’s one clip used multiple places—that might be a more practical option, but it also involves more steps.

In new projects created in 10.1 and on with Canon footage this shouldn't be an issue.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Multicam issue with Canon 5D Mark III
on Mar 27, 2014 at 4:51:49 pm

I feared as much. I guess I could open the clips in FCP 7 and change the timecode there as well. Might be able to do it as a batch in there.

I actually upgraded mid project(s) and there were a few Canon cameras in play. 7D, 5D mk II, 5D mk III, and T4i. The ONLY camera with a problem was the Mark III. All the others still default to 0:00 as the starting timecode and didn't unlink. Luckily none of the projects were using a Mark III when I upgraded. Just some old projects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]