FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 10.1 Capture Breaking Up Media Into Multiple Files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jory Levine
FCP 10.1 Capture Breaking Up Media Into Multiple Files
on Mar 26, 2014 at 6:05:37 pm

I know that FCP 10.1 has an automatic function during import to breakup media (and clips) when it senses the import tape was stopped and then restarted.
I'm also aware of the Archive button to capture a whole tape undisturbed.

The problem is some of the breaks FCP made during import occur in the middle of footage when the camera wasn't stopped. Maybe it's sensing a frame drop or something.
Now I have fragmented clips and media files.

So the question is:
1. Does FCP 10.1 have any way for merging, NOT CLIPS, but MEDIA FILES stored in the library file into a longer file? I know I can put these smaller clips together on the timeline but I don't want a single take being split into several mini files when it should be one file. It would work in the project but if I want to move media I want it to be more easily managed and not have it be fragmented in a weird way.

2. If not, I know I can extract the files from the Library content package, fix them, and reimport in a new library. Does any have a recommendation for a good small and hopefully free program to merge .mov files simply without being lossy or change the original file structure. Something simpler than creating a new FCP project to export merged clips on the timeline.
There should be a easier way of doing it than that.

3. If I do a full tape archive, can I import it and relink the clips FCP made from the first import to the archive footage. Will FCP recognized the archive tape as the same source as the clips it previously made if I try relink.

4. Can FCP have ability to do what it does during import, create clips from source media AFTER the media has been imported? If I import a full archived tape can I ask FCP to scan it and break it up into clips?

Thanks to all the geniuses out there who might know the answers!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]