Backing Up Final Cut Pro X Events/Libraries/Projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Green
Backing Up Final Cut Pro X Events/Libraries/Projects
on Mar 26, 2014 at 2:50:04 pm

Hi everyone

I recently updated to FCPX 10.1.

I want to take projects that I have finished, saved on one external HDD, and move everything, including the original RAW data to a backup drive.

I used to duplicate the project and event onto this backup HDD and delete the original, but that feature is gone. So then is it correct to copy my entire library over to this external HDD using finder and then delete events and projects on my main HDD? Then from then on when I backup I can use Time Machine to only backup changed files?

Also, what is the best way to compress these files? When I am editing I optimize the files which is great but takes up a ridiculous amount of space. How do I minimize it as much as possible?

Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Backing Up Final Cut Pro X Events/Libraries/Projects
on Mar 26, 2014 at 4:00:37 pm

The best way is within the app itself. Don't muck about in the finder (more specifically INSIDE the Library package in the finder) or you can corrupt your library/event files.

1. Highlight all the events within your Library. Like many you may just have one event. I use two. A media event, and a sequences event.

2. Go to File>Copy Events to Library>New Library

3. In the dialog, name the Library and choose a drive to save it to (your backup drive likely).

4. It will ask if you wish to include Optimized Media and Proxy media. Make sure both are unchecked for the smallest file size. These can be recreated by FCP X if necessary in the future.

5. Click cmd+9 to open the background tasks window to check the progress

6. When it's all done, highlight the new library (it should appear in the browser) and right click and choose "Consolidate Library Files". This will COPY (not move) any externally linked files to a location of your choice. For a backup I would choose the new backup library itself. It should be the default choice. You can always consolidate them out of the library later if you need them externally linked for any reason.

7. Open background tasks and check progress.

8. Close the original Library and make sure the new Library has all the media.

9. Extras. Don't forget the extras. Any custom motion templates or changed traditions or fx DO NOT go along with a library, event, or project. So it's always a good idea to open your user>movies folder and copy any custom settings or plugins to a folder that you backup along with your Library.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I missed a step.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Mar 26, 2014 at 4:08:21 pm

Yes - what Bret said :). I guess we were posting at the same time.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 26, 2014 at 4:09:26 pm

An alternative, if you only wanted to backup the USED media from a Project sequence, would be to highlight only the Project in step 1 and choose File>Copy PROJECT to Library>New Library.

All other steps remain the same pretty much. It'll then create a new library with just that project and the media necessary. Any keyword collections relating to the media will also come along. Unfortunately other organization like separate events/folders don't. It ends up being a library with 1 event and keywords.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Mar 26, 2014 at 4:07:31 pm
Last Edited By Tim Jones on Mar 26, 2014 at 4:08:48 pm

One method is to follow these steps:

Create a New Library on your backup drive
Name the Event properly for your backup copy
Select the project that you want to offline and backup
Drag it into the new Event in the new library

I like to include the optimized media, but I leave the proxy media out of the new copy. Note that this doesn't copy linked files, just the alias entries (references).

Select the Library and select "Reveal in Finder".
Select the Library there and Right click and select "Show Bundle Contents"

If all looks correct, you can now delete the original project.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Mar 26, 2014 at 6:17:40 pm

Also something like this can help the process immensely-

http://www.arcticwhiteness.com/finalcutlibrarymanager/

Return to posts index

Dave Brandt
on Mar 28, 2014 at 8:38:12 pm

I use an app called sync folders pro.
It will sync 2 folders and all their content in either direction.

I use it to back up my working directory on internal MacBook to my raid in the office.

Once I have additional edits or footage in my library on the MacBook I run the app. It only adds changes so it's very quick.

When I'm done with the project I run it one more time, then open the library from my raid to ensure everything is ok and delete the folder on the MacBook.
I can then use library manager to get rid of optimised media and render files in the library on the raid.

The advantage is that I have a constant backup of the library and also additional files residing in the work folder such as scripts, after effects, music, preview edits etc.

If I delete something on my work folder during the course of the peoject and run the sync, it moves it into a deleted folder on the raid so it's a very handy way to be able to step back should I need to.

I have had zero issues working this way, no library corruptions or missing files etc. and I always have a backup up to latest sync point.

Dave

http://www.BrandtStudios.ie

Macbook Pro Retina 15" i7 2.7 16GB Early 2013
PC i7 32GB Self Build
FCPX LogicX Adobe CC Vegas 12 Nuendo 4

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]