FORUMS: list search recent posts

Updating 10.09 projects w/'Update Projects & Events' not letting me pick folders/projects to update...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Underwood
Updating 10.09 projects w/'Update Projects & Events' not letting me pick folders/projects to update...
on Mar 24, 2014 at 6:45:05 pm

Used Event manager to leave 2 projects in 'Final Cut Projects' folder. It's at root level, the projects are in there. In FCPX, File>Update Projects & Events' > 'Locate' shows me this...

(Note: Although 'Backups' is hilited in screen grab, it's the 'Final Cut Projects and Events' being 'grayed out' that has me baffled.

Can someone tell me how to get this to work? I must be missing something...

Thanks!

~ Steve Underwood

Computer: MacBook Pro, OS X 10.9.1
Processor: 2.6GHz, Intel Core i7, Memory: 16GB
Intel Iris Pro, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M, FCX 10.1.1
Pegasus 4TB RAID

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: Updating 10.09 projects w/'Update Projects & Events' not letting me pick folders/projects to update...
on Mar 24, 2014 at 6:50:01 pm

You should select the drive itself at the root to pick up the Project/Event folders at the root, unless they've already been updated. Selecting them wouldn't make any sense because you need the pair in order to successfully not update- not one level deep into each. If that doesn't work, nest them into a new folder saved at the root of the drive and select that from the update dialogue.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
Re: Updating 10.09 projects w/'Update Projects & Events' not letting me pick folders/projects to update...
on Mar 24, 2014 at 7:18:45 pm

I thought the same thing.

Just choose the drive. Using Event Manger X to activate only the projects/events you want to update is what makes the choice as to what gets updated.

anickt

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Mar 24, 2014 at 8:38:31 pm

To expand on what Nick said...

Use Event Manager X to TURN OFF EVERYTHING.

Un-check the Restart FCP button so you can activate the hiding of everything once without restarting FCP. Then check the Reactivate button for all future use.

One at a time, activate an Event and its related Projects and restart. FCPX will then find the Event and Projects and create a new Library. Rename the Library to fit the Event and Projects you collected into the Library.

Use Event Manager X to activate one Event and related Projects at a time and go through this same process. TIP: I also use this process to combine related Events and Projects so that future edits will have access to the entire pool of source material.

At the end, for now, when the update completes, it'll ask you if you want to Trash the old Events and Projects or save them. Save for now. It doesn't take up any additional space. The process is highly reliable and it's likely you won't have to go back but it gives you peace of mind. I've never had a problem and I've updated a number of Events and Projects.

You might notice that when the new FCPX creates a Library your Event And Projects folders disappear. Don't worry about it. When you use Event Manager X to activate a new set of an Event and its related Projects it'll recreate the proper folders for FCPX to find and update.

But, you can go back, say, because you made the wrong decision of how to combine Events and Projects for that particular Library. You'll find the Events and Projects folders in a new folder named after the hard drive where they existed. Put those folders back into the root directory and try again.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Underwood
on Mar 24, 2014 at 9:27:57 pm

Ok... I jumped too quickly before reading the last post (Thanks for the clear step-by-step, Don) ...and did it wrong. To trash the new library I created, close FCXP, drag it to trash on finder level, and begin again, yes? Just checking to be sure...

~ Steve Underwood

Computer: MacBook Pro, OS X 10.9.1
Processor: 2.6GHz, Intel Core i7, Memory: 16GB
Intel Iris Pro, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M, FCX 10.1.1
Pegasus 4TB RAID

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]