FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will FCP X 10.1.1 work on my Mac Pro 4,1 2009 Nehalem 2.66 Quad Core Intel Xeon

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael DiLieto
Will FCP X 10.1.1 work on my Mac Pro 4,1 2009 Nehalem 2.66 Quad Core Intel Xeon
on Mar 24, 2014 at 5:30:38 am

Im still using FCP 7 on this Mac Pro but I am wondering about how FCP X 10.1.1 would work?

Its an MB871LL/A 4,1 2009 Nehalem 2.66 Quad Core Intel Xeon with 16GB ram.

I would like to run both, FCP 7 using the current OS 10.6.8 and Mavericks with FCP X but I am not sure the best way to do that. A partition on primary drive? I would probably screw that up. If you have advice on that topic, I would appreciate it.

But in the event I just delete FCP 7, add Mavericks followed by adding FCP X 10.1.1, I was wondering how it would run? Is it too old. Also, if you think it would run ok, do you think changing out the video card which is the 512MB GeForce GT120, for the better card at that time this computer was new, the Radeon 5870 or 5770 1GB cards would make a difference? And lastly, would even a $500.00 3 or 4 GB card help my old dog machine even better? Im trying to keep this machine a little while longer before heading back to the Apple Store!

Thanks so much for any advice on this run-on, over loaded question!

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Will FCP X 10.1.1 work on my Mac Pro 4,1 2009 Nehalem 2.66 Quad Core Intel Xeon
on Mar 24, 2014 at 6:41:00 am

I have the same Mac Pro you have. With the Radeon 5770 and 32 gb ram. I run FCP 7 on mountain lion and FCPX on a Mavericks partition. And it runs perfectly fine on my machine.

It's not hard to create a bootable partition, you can do it from inside disk utility. I like to keep FCP 7 around because there are plenty of people still using it out there. But I haven't needed to boot up Mountain lion in a while.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Will FCP X 10.1.1 work on my Mac Pro 4,1 2009 Nehalem 2.66 Quad Core Intel Xeon
on Mar 24, 2014 at 8:18:47 pm

I have it "running" (don't know if you'd call it working) on a MacPro 1,1 dual 2 ghz with a 5770. First I had to trick the computer into installing Mavericks. But Mavericks runs great on it! I haven't really put X to the test on it. It's mainly my kids internet games machine these days.

But that 5770 is actually a PC flashed version that has a 3rd output- an HDMI port. I wonder if 10.1.1 will treat that as a video out device like on the new MP and laptops?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 25, 2014 at 2:42:57 pm

FWIW I copied over a 1080p24 project today and it worked. Cuts and dissolves. But no dropped frames from the internal (secondary) data playing back at full quality, ProRes 422, with the scopes on. The dissolves played back without rendering.

The HDMI port on my 5770 does not appear to be recognized as a viable video output device.

Return to posts index

Michael DiLieto
on Mar 25, 2014 at 3:54:25 pm
Last Edited By Michael DiLieto on Mar 26, 2014 at 12:51:56 am

Thanks for the follow up! As far as the video card, from everything I have read, and from various forums, when PC cards are flashed, the opening boot screen where you see the apple logo, doesn't appear. You have to wait for the log in screen. Supposedly, that's it. No other problems with using these cards,including which ports you use. I use a mini display port so Im not sure if the DVI ports would work or not.

Also, the main issue I keep reading about is the open cl and CUDA that the PC cards have. I am still trying to learn how OPEN CL and CUDA features of these cards works with FCP X or not. If you want to check out their cards you can see them at this auction number. 231175818438 and their ID is macvidcards

The reason why I am even sidetracking with all of this is to determine how I can optimize my old computer or if I should re invest in a new one like Apple wants and demands.

So, if I get a video card of some sort, and maybe even grab an SSD for a primary drive which will increase speed, will the old 4,1 Mac Pro work well enough, or should I save these $500.00 in upgrades and put it towards a new computer.

Its a tough decision for me not having used FCP X ever!

Return to posts index

Michael DiLieto
on Mar 25, 2014 at 12:51:42 am

Thanks for the response. Im still thinking about what to do in terms of the partition. In the meantime, I subscribed to your Youtube channel and could definitely stand to watch your tutorials to start learning FCP X.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Cédric Le Doré
on Nov 22, 2014 at 12:36:25 pm

Hi Michael,

Any news about your configuration ? I have the same as yours.
Did you make the step to Mavericks and fcpX 10.1 ?

Any issues ? Did you have to change your Nvidia 512MB GeForce GT120 cards ?

Thanks for advices !

Return to posts index

Michael DiLieto
on Nov 22, 2014 at 4:40:56 pm

Yes, I did make advances. I did what Apple wanted. Instead of keeping the old FCP 7.0 suite going which I never really learned well and am not a professional editor, I sold all of my equipment, software, and hardware on Ebay.

Then I got a credit card with no interest for a year and bought a $3500.00 iMac fully loaded just about 500 Internal Flash drive instead of 1 TB. Then, I bought a raid system via Thunderbolt connection and downloaded for 400.00 FCP 10.1.3 from the APP store.

Now I am current and up to date with hardware and software and am learning to edit on the newer system (software/hardware).

Next, I realized that if you get AppleCare for 3 years and sell your brand new imac every two years on Ebay, you will get a great price for it because it will still have a year of AppleCare left on it. Then you go back to the greedy machine APPLE and just buy another system and start over with the latest and greatest. You then take the roughly $1500.00 that you will lose over the two years and you simply accept your beating from the APPLE MACHINE and you give in to the fact that if you want the current hardware and software and want to avoid TONS of built in frustration from working with old equipment, that you will commit to paying roughly $700 to $800 a year in depreciation for that right and ability.

Had I upgraded with about $600.00 to this larger video card and a raid card for my older hardware and software so I could still use FCP 7.0 I would have been good with my old Mac Pro 8 core. However, the old FCP didn't matter to me so and I couldn't get One to One lessons at the Apple store on it like I can now with 10.1.3 which I have had 15 lessons.

So therefore after posting to this forum, I gave up and financed interest free for 16 months with a Citi card and just gave up / gave in.

However, at this point, maybe the 3 and 4 GB modified video cards are cheaper and will help your old machine to continue using moving forward!

Good luck with whatever you do!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]