FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mirroring libraries for sharing projects?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Culbertson
Mirroring libraries for sharing projects?
on Mar 22, 2014 at 11:31:56 pm

New upgraded to v10.1:

Can I copy a library (to another computer) at the finder level in order to create mirrored events for sharing projects back and forth, or should I do this only from within FCPX (via copy event to library).

Secondly, I am receiving some extra footage at the last minute from a client. So I will import that as a separate event in order to copy to another mirrored library. Can I then move the clips from the new event into the working event on both computers separately and have no problem sharing projects back and forth between computers?

Hope this makes sense,

Thanks, James

Return to posts index

Dave Brandt
Re: Mirroring libraries for sharing projects?
on Mar 23, 2014 at 7:43:25 pm

Hi James,

Are you sharing the project between computers with other editors or just yourself?
If it is the latter, I do this all the time. I have found the best solution to be a program called sync folders pro.

My setup is as follows.

Event on raid in the studio, connected to editing computer Imac.
I frequently go to my clients offices to do the edits so what I do is create a work folder on my laptop and use sync folders pro to sync my project folder for client from the iMac raid to laptop in target disc mode. This has me up to date with any files, edits up to sync point. I sync early on so the big files are transferred in the background, then just before I leave for client I sync again to have the latest version on my laptop. It only syncs the changed files which in this case is usually the project file, so it takes a few seconds.

I then do my edits on the laptop and add pickups etc at client site,
Come back to my iMac, connect in target disc mode again, and sync, but this time choose the other direction.
This way everything stays in sync, and also any notes I may have added or screenshots etc are added to the client folder on raid too. I also now have an exact clone of my clients project folder so everything is backed up.

Sorry if this doesn't apply to your situation exactly but might be of use to someone else
Dave

http://www.BrandtStudios.ie

Macbook Pro Retina 15" i7 2.7 16GB Early 2013
PC i7 32GB Self Build
FCPX LogicX Adobe CC Vegas 12 Nuendo 4

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Mar 23, 2014 at 8:57:10 pm

So, if I understand you correctly, it sounds like you can sync library files at the finder level without issue?

I'm assuming you are linking to external source files such that your library sync is a minimal amount of data to transfer?

Or do backup applications looks inside the library package for differences to sync?

Return to posts index

Dave Brandt
on Mar 23, 2014 at 10:13:47 pm

Hi James,

Yes, the application I use looks inside the library package at finder level. I keep all media inside it, I back up the entire client folder to keep all the other stuff in sync aswell such as notes, scripts and also the preview exports etc. but I was quite surprised myself that it works so well with the libraries when I upgraded to 10.1

I've been using this method with great success so far.
It also works really well to back up after the project is finished as I don't have to wait until the very end, but can do daily or weekly backups to an external drive very quickly.

Dave

http://www.BrandtStudios.ie

Macbook Pro Retina 15" i7 2.7 16GB Early 2013
PC i7 32GB Self Build
FCPX LogicX Adobe CC Vegas 12 Nuendo 4

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]