FORUMS: list search recent posts

Selecting multiple clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adolfo Tertuliano
Selecting multiple clips
on Mar 22, 2014 at 5:18:09 am

Hello.

I recently decided to switch from FCP7 to FCPX. I'm working on my first project, and I gotta say the transition hasn't been smooth, specially when dealing with video layers. This project consists of interview clips, still images, and text layers. Since you have to have a 'main storyline' in FCPX, I decided that in this case the main storyline should be an animated background that runs throughout the whole video because I will use that animated background with the still images. On top of that 'layer', I placed the interviews, images and text clips. Each interview and each still image has it's lower third or text clip, and I cut between interviews and still images throughout the video.

After sending the video to my client, they asked me to take out some interviews and images. When I remove an interview clip or a still image, I can't select the clips to the right and just fill the gap because FCPX won't let me. Using the Position tool won't help either, UNLESS I select EACH clip individually (clicking on the black bar on top of each clip) and then move them all. As you can image, selectiong each clip and its text layer takes me forever. In FCP7, I would just use the "Select all clips to the right" tool (TT), and I would move those clips freely.

Is there a way to select multiple clips that are above the main storyline at once and move them freely?

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
Re: Selecting multiple clips
on Mar 22, 2014 at 8:46:23 am

Select them in the timeline index

anickt

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 22, 2014 at 4:13:15 pm

[Nick Toth] "Select them in the timeline index"

It sounds like he has them in secondary storylines, which makes this a little trickier. Another way might be to lift the BG from the primary, leaving Gap. Then, after deleting the shots, delete the corresponding bit of Gap in the primary underneath the area where the deleted clips were. That will pull everything up, and the BG should remain in place as it should be connected to the head of the timeline.

The only thing to watch out for is if you have music cut up underneath the deleted area. Make sure the connection points are adjusted so it gets pulled up with everything and not deleted....

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 22, 2014 at 2:06:18 pm

I would have put the driving force of your video as the main storyline. The interviews and still clips. The background would go below the main storyline. And broll and such associated with the interviews would be connected to the interviews above. Now, when you delete or edit an interview clip, everything ripples down. This is the way it was designed to be used, but everyone works differently.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 22, 2014 at 5:59:18 pm

What Brett said.

One of the MOST difficult things for migrators to learn is that in X, you can work BELOW the primary for visuals. In every traditional NLE, Track 1 is the floor. In X there is no floor. Dropping your animated background as a connected clip below the primary makes it the background in the same way putting it in track one did in an older style NLE - and doesn't waste your magnetic timeline on a single track that you'll seldom, if ever, edit.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]