FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upscaling 1080p for DCP ...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Figgiani
Upscaling 1080p for DCP ...
on Mar 21, 2014 at 1:35:27 pm

I'm sifting through all the steps necessary to create a DCP package with the original footage shot at 1080p. It looks like the information that is out there regarding upscaling is accurate - footage will need to be upscaled by 7%. I want to deliver at 2.39 aspect ratio.

Instead of letterboxing and then cropping - I find it easier to just work in 2048x858 natively in FCPX. I drop in the 1080p clips with Spacial Conform set to NONE, scale to 107%, and then use Transform/Y Position to reframe the image.

Next I pull the Master Output file into After Effects and export a 16bit TIFF Image Sequence in preparation for openDCP.

I was just wondering if anyone has had the chance to view 2K (2048x858) material that has been upscaled from 1080p on a large projection screen? If so how does it look?

Obviously anytime footage is scaled higher there will be be some level of quality degradation. I'm wondering how 7% upscale will hold up on the big screen ...

thx.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Upscaling 1080p for DCP ...
on Mar 21, 2014 at 2:26:42 pm

[Paul Figgiani] "I was just wondering if anyone has had the chance to view 2K (2048x858) material that has been upscaled from 1080p on a large projection screen? If so how does it look? "

We work this way a lot of the time for theatrical movie trailers and it's usually impossible to tell the difference once projected - however we leave the DCP mastering house to do the upscaling. Not sure how well FCP X manages it but I would make sure you test all your options and find out which looks best.

Do make sure any graphics are 2048 though as you will notice a difference there.

Simon Ubsdell
hawaiki.co

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
Re: Upscaling 1080p for DCP ...
on Mar 21, 2014 at 3:13:20 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "we leave the DCP mastering house to do the upscaling. Not sure how well FCP X manages it but I would make sure you test all your options and find out which looks best.

Do make sure any graphics are 2048 though as you will notice a difference there."

Thanks, Simon.

So alternatively I could work with 2.39 letterboxed 1080p and 2048 graphics. Then crop the output accordingly and let the DCP mastering house handle the upscaling. Makes sense.

Thanks again.

-paul.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]