FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX "ghosting"issue (10.1) events inside library going offline, nothing shows up.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliot Lim
FCPX "ghosting"issue (10.1) events inside library going offline, nothing shows up.
on Mar 19, 2014 at 10:12:08 pm

Not sure what to call this, but had a occasion where FCPX library would crash and then show back up with only the event names and nothing inside them. (no icon, only the name in grey and a dropdown arrow which leads to nothing) All the files were still in there in finder but it was as if all links between the events, projects, and clips were corrupted inside fcpx.

After losing some hair it seems the solution is to delete the file called "CurrentVersion fcpevent - journal" inside the root folder of your library in question.

Does anyone know what this file does? Because of its name I'm guessing its like a temporary log of where the event crashed so it can reconstruct it later on, the issue is that it is making a wrong point of reference for reconstruction therefore it is prime target for freakouts.

If this happens make sure to do this immediately, had this happen twice now, and the first time it happened I spent a good couple of hours trying to figure it out, after which I managed to get my library/event back, but it was stuck in this "stasis" where any changes I made would crash the system. Plus any of the back ups wouldn't work as well, coming up with the same issue. The solution at the end was to xml out the project and reconstruct a library/event from there on. Less than ideal with all of the keywords and favourites disappearing but hey, better than nothing.

All the best

Return to posts index

Jerome Raim
Re: FCPX "ghosting"issue (10.1) events inside library going offline, nothing shows up.
on Mar 20, 2014 at 9:02:04 pm

Yes I've seen this "journal" file(s) that block the library from opening. I've only seen them appear if FCPX had crashed.

I haven't fully understood how to restore an FCPX backup (manually restoring vs using FCPX's built in feature). I've ended up using the third party app "Backups for Final Cut Pro" http://npassociatesllc.com/backupsforfcp/ . Very efficient tool that does exactly what it needs to do. Restoring a library is a painless experience.

I've been using XML to share events but have stopped using them for projects. Inconsistent results with text elements (text resetting itself to "Basic Title" or showing the right text in preview but displaying wrong text when exporting, etc.).

I haven't played much with it but it seems possible to manually recreate a library/cut by making a new "library.fcpbundle" folder and copying the event folder, fcpevent file that corresponds t the cut and the "original media" folder (since I work with external media, this a 20kb folder with a bunch of symlinks).

Best,
Jerome

Jerome Raim
Post-Production
JeromeRaim.com

Return to posts index

Elliot Lim
Re: FCPX "ghosting"issue (10.1) events inside library going offline, nothing shows up.
on Mar 25, 2014 at 1:24:43 am

Thanks for the info Jerome, we'll definitely be looking into it.

By the way, were you able to find out any way to relink up the those broken titles? I've had a project where after it was moved to another system the titles went offline and I could not reconnect them even after duplicating the motion templates in the MOVIES folder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]