FORUMS: list search recent posts

nudge x-dissolve key command?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Pearson
nudge x-dissolve key command?
on Mar 19, 2014 at 3:56:41 pm

Is there a key command for nudging an edit point with a transition filter applied (in this case, an audio cross dissolve)?... After I select the edges of the two clips (can't seem select just one edge) in the center of the transition filter, I can drag the edit point left or right, but the key commands i normally use "," and "." don't seem to work as they do when no transit filter is in place

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: nudge x-dissolve key command?
on Mar 19, 2014 at 4:17:35 pm

It should work as you describe. Apple only has a cross dissolve on an audio only clip. Is that what you're referring to? You should simply click the middle of the transition, highlighting both edges of the incoming and outgoing. Then simply drag or nudge with the , and . keys. In the example below it works fine.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 19, 2014 at 5:09:03 pm

The bracket keys select different edges of edit points even with a transition applied. [ = left edge, ] = right edge, \ = both edges.

It can be difficult to select them with a mouse when a transition's applied so I either use those shortcuts above, or else it's pretty easy to go into precision mode (by double-clicking the edit point) and selecting one edge that way.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Joshua Pearson
on Mar 19, 2014 at 6:41:41 pm

ah yes its working for me now

Return to posts index

Joshua Pearson
sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
on Mar 19, 2014 at 8:01:07 pm

actually its functionality seems fickle.... now i can't seem to get the , or . commands to nudge when i have both edges selected... i can drag it but no key commands. But it worked before...

nor can i select either edge with the [ or ] keys at the moment.

strange...

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
on Mar 19, 2014 at 8:18:04 pm

I've noticed this as well, but as you note, it's sort of random. Please send feedback to Apple and hopefully they'll take a look at it. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Joshua Pearson
on Mar 19, 2014 at 9:15:14 pm

Its kind of amusing to me how much functionality on FCPX is "sort of random"... i actually am enjoying using it heavily for the first time (played with it since day 1, now finally doing a high profile long-form doc for a major client), but there is a sort of funny "looseness" about the interface, where sometimes things will work & sometimes they won't, sometimes the browser clip is activated, sometimes its not, sometimes ranges play only within the selection, sometimes they don't... sort of feels like its been screwed together loosely, with screws too big for the holes, and the whole thing rattles a bit...

not missing FCP7 yet though... fingers crossed as over the next few months i build a densely cut 2-hour timeline. Very curious about performance when that happens.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 19, 2014 at 9:46:30 pm

[Joshua Pearson] "sort of feels like its been screwed together loosely, with screws too big for the holes, and the whole thing rattles a bit.."

Yeah, it's, um... quirky. ;-) Some of it's probably the newness, some, I think, is features that maybe weren't initially envisioned getting worked out. (PIOP's) Who knows. No real show-stoppers for me though. It gets much better with each update, though sometimes it's a 4 steps forward 1 back thing. Generally more than 2 forward steps, so I can live with it.

I still bounce around between X, 7 and PrCC (MC 7 sits sadly neglected in my apps folder) and X feels like "home" now. I find myself trying stuff that I wouldn't bother with in the others just because there are less hoops to jump through to accomplish things. That's a pretty big deal for me, as I'm always in "need it yesterday" mode. But to your point... there are definitely some funny noises under the hood now and again. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 20, 2014 at 2:53:41 am

Some areas do feel undeveloped. Like a nice little keyframing engine in the timeline. But only for opacity!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]