FORUMS: list search recent posts

'You are editing between libraries'... Anything to be aware to avoid problems later?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Underwood
'You are editing between libraries'... Anything to be aware to avoid problems later?
on Mar 19, 2014 at 12:34:07 am

The message: "FCP will copy files and clips to the library "XYZ". Media stored in external folders will be linked to but not copied."

All of my 10.1.1 libraries are on the same RAID and I edit solo, no sharing with other editors...

If the 'links' are tiny metadata files, I'm fine with this, but I just want to be sure that it's ok to go this 'linked but not copied' route. (The 'FCP will COPY files and CLIPS' is what I wondered about, in that I hear the words 'copy files' and think 'media'...
Thanks!

~ Steve Underwood

Computer: MacBook Pro, OS X 10.9.1
Processor: 2.6GHz, Intel Core i7, Memory: 16GB
Intel Iris Pro, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M, FCX 10.1.1
Pegasus 4TB RAID

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: 'You are editing between libraries'... Anything to be aware to avoid problems later?
on Mar 19, 2014 at 12:41:21 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Mar 19, 2014 at 12:46:34 am

[Stephen Underwood] "If the 'links' are tiny metadata files, I'm fine with this, but I just want to be sure that it's ok to go this 'linked but not copied' route."

If your media is managed, i.e. lives inside the Library, files will be copied. If the media is outside the Library and linked, only links will be copied, which is I guess what you want. If it *is* managed, you can avoid the actual media being copied by consolidating the library media to an external folder. If you do this, and the folder is on the same drive it'll just move the files from the library to the folder so you won't end up with 2 copies of everything. After you move the media, only symlinks (tiny files) will be copied between libraries. Working with linked media is fine, IMO it's preferable...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Stephen Underwood
Re: 'You are editing between libraries'... Anything to be aware to avoid problems later?
on Mar 19, 2014 at 12:52:01 am

Sorry... should have been clear that all media is organized in folders outside FCPX.

I'm not sure what you mean by "you can avoid the actual media being copied by consolidating the library media to an external folder."

Not sure which 'external folder'... If there's a quick step-by-step for a good solution, I'd appreciate. Sorry to have to ask...

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 19, 2014 at 12:55:21 am

[Stephen Underwood] "Sorry... should have been clear that all media is organized in folders outside FCPX.

I'm not sure what you mean by "you can avoid the actual media being copied by consolidating the library media to an external folder.""

You're good then. :-) What I meant was, if your media is inside the library you can move it out (consolidate it) so you won't be copying actual files between libraries. Since you already work with linked external media, you're all set. Only the little symlinks will get copied...

Return to posts index

Stephen Underwood
on Mar 19, 2014 at 1:00:35 am

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 19, 2014 at 2:32:00 am

I don't know about preferable. I work that way too. But generally the media isn't shared between libraries. Today I consolidated a completed project to a new library containing just the used files and deleted the original library and media. Turns out, I had grabbed some sfx from that tossed library / media for another library. I opened the other library to work on it and all the sfx were missing. Oops! If you're working with external you have manually manage the media.

Lesson learned. After copying a file from another library, immediately consolidate it to where you want. OR work with managed libraries that may eat up more space, but are essentially idiot proof.

I'm working alone and not sharing media. I should be managing my media. But I just like to keep it separate. Easier to browse in the finder.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 19, 2014 at 3:20:30 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Mar 19, 2014 at 3:22:59 am

[Bret Williams] " But generally the media isn't shared between libraries"

I've got the opposite issue, in that I have a separate SFX Library, which was an Event, which was an FCP 7 project. ;-) Anyway... I'm always updating it so it wouldn't have worked to keep it as an event, and copy it into every Library (job) I have going on. So for this workflow copying between Libraries makes sense. Yes, you need to keep your stuff organized on the Finder level but everything we have is shared anyway, so it works well. Hopefully at some point Finder tags will translate somehow, that would be cool...

I wish there was a "don't warn me agin" checkbox in the dialog, or the ability to designate a "source library" or something. I've whined at Apple about this... I also wish the Music and Sound browser respected your storage settings, it always copies the files to the Library, so I end up rarely using the SFX that come with X, some of which are quite nice. If I need one I'll hunt through our shared copy in the Finder.

Same with music, drag a cue from the X browser browser iTunes listing and it always copies it, drag it from iTunes itself and it links. And no waveform previews. The iMovie version is better in that last area.. So... hopefully iMovie is the stalking horse and something similar will appear in X....

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 21, 2014 at 8:25:01 pm

[Charlie Austin] "I wish there was a "don't warn me agin" checkbox in the dialog, or the ability to designate a "source library" or something. I've whined at Apple about this..."

I just started on 10.1.1. This is driving me batty. Every edit you have to click "Okay". I completely agree it's got to go.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 21, 2014 at 8:44:47 pm

[Brett Sherman] "I just started on 10.1.1. This is driving me batty. Every edit you have to click "Okay". I completely agree it's got to go."

send feedback again... I do it about once a week. lol

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]