FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX 10.1 video not showing in timeline, but fine in Event Browser

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosa Linda Román
FCPX 10.1 video not showing in timeline, but fine in Event Browser
on Mar 18, 2014 at 4:40:09 pm

Hello fellow editors,

I am hoping someone can help me troubleshoot a problem I keep having in FCPX 10.1.1

I imported an XML file of an old project (using 7toX for Final Cut Pro) to create a new library, but many of the clips are showing up as missing. Generally the audio is there but not the video. The workaround that I have been doing, as I am on a deadline (I know, what editor isn't?), is to export the finished video from the legacy version of FCP (5!) which it was originally edited on and then import that .mov file to the library in FCPX 10.1. Then I just splice and dice to match the video to the already existing audio in the timeline. Not the smoothest solution, I'm sure, but it has been functional at least... until now.

The problem that just started happening is that now the imported .mov clip's video is showing up fine in the Event Browser, but not showing up at all in the timeline (despite the fact that there are thumbnail images on the clip in the timeline). I have tried relinking to no avail. Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about (it's the NM0037_Hope_Town_Coffee clip at the top of the timeline I'm talking about):

To add to the mystery, when I control-click on the clip in the timeline and select "open in Timeline," a new timeline opens with just that clip, with all the video intact. Here's another screenshot to show what I mean:

I am at a total loss. The video seems to be there, but no matter what I try I can't get it to show up in the timeline that I am actually editing in.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Return to posts index

Gretta Wing Miller
Re: FCPX 10.1 video not showing in timeline, but fine in Event Browser
on Mar 18, 2014 at 6:03:34 pm

Wow. FCP v5? Is that the project you used 7toX on? Or did you have a v7 version? I would not expect things to work from 5 to X. Why not relink all the clips manually? I have done this with old (v7) projects that never have seemed to come in perfectly from XML. (It is probably a metadata issue, (IMHO). I have some clips in a new project that whenever i send an XML out to v7 (Xto7), are never found and have to be relinked).
the clips are not really 'missing', FCP just needs to be told where they are.

Downtown Dailies Service
"I may have been born this morning,
but I've been downtown all afternoon."

Return to posts index

Rosa Linda Román
on Mar 18, 2014 at 6:50:38 pm

Thanks for the response, Gretta.

Yes, FCP5. Crazy, I know. But I unexpectedly find myself using old footage in a new TV show and making it work by patchwork and piecemeal. With other episodes I have gone from FCP5 to FCP7, using a friend's machine with FCP7, and then used 7toX to get it into FCPX, but after doing that multiple times I tried it going straight from FCP5 to FCPX and realized about the same number of items were "broken" either way. This saves me multiple trips across town and has worked well enough until now.

The problem is that I have done what you suggested over and over again... I have relinked the files, even the ones that don't show as missing, and the timeline still shows this:

...and the event browser still shows this:

...even though the video itself clearly plays outside of FCPX.

But that isn't even the issue I am trying to solve with this thread. Generally I just replace that missing video section in the timeline with video from an .mov file of the same section (from the previously finished edit). But now, here in FCPX 10.1.1, it is showing the .mov file in the event browser complete with video, but when I add it to the timeline it has no video.

I have tried to relink it but to no avail.

So frustrated!

Return to posts index

Rosa Linda Román
on Mar 18, 2014 at 7:18:29 pm

Okay, as has been the case since the start of this crazy project (going from tape to tapeless, and from FCP5 to FCPX to FCPX 10.1... and everything in between) I have found a ridiculous work-around. I say "ridiculous" because I have no earthly idea why this worked and normal things (like relinking files through FCPX 10.1) did not work. But, in case someone else encounters this problem (i.e. .mov files showing up in event browser with video but in timeline with no video) here's what worked for me (note... you will want to skip #3 & #4!):

1. I brought the .mov file into MPEG Streamclip and exported it as a Quicktime Movie with the following settings: Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy), Linear PCM

2. I imported that file into FCPX 10.1.1 and ensured that the footage played normally in the viewer. It did.

3. I then did a "Replace" edit... trying to bring that functioning footage into the timeline.

4. Debated pulling my hair out when I discovered that the clip was once again without video in the timeline.

5. I set the playhead at the end of the project in the timeline and did an "Insert" (W) edit instead.

6. I did a happy dance when suddenly the video played normally in the timeline.

You can see both the non-functioning clip from the "replace" edit (on the upper, left side of the timeline) and the fully-functioning-video clip at the end of the timeline in this screen shot:

It is crazy, because they are both from the SAME clip in the browser but one has video in the timeline and one does not!!! What am I missing here?

Well, I hope this helps someone avert hair-pulling at some point in the future!

Return to posts index

Dan Rayner
on Mar 24, 2015 at 9:11:52 pm

Hi - did you ever resolve this issue? I'm experiencing the same thing.

I have been working on an edit on 2 different computers (laptop and desktop) with the same external HD and everything has been fine until now, with the edit being identical on both machines.

Now, however, when working on the laptop, as you say, the clip shows up in the browser and the timeline, but when playing the timeline there is the missing clip red rectangle where the clip should be.

I click the missing clip red rectangle and hit 'reveal in browser' which then selects the in and outpoints on the clip and perform a replace edit. After this the clip plays back fine but audio and colour adjustments need to be remade. This has also been happening with a 'missing' generator. As with the clip, the generator was available in the event browser and showed in the timeline but played back as a missing clip red rectangle.

When I open the library on my desktop however, it all plays back fine with no 'missing' clips.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 24, 2015 at 11:42:35 pm

[Dan Rayner] "When I open the library on my desktop however, it all plays back fine with no 'missing' clips.
"

It sounds like you have a missing filter that is not on your laptop.

Return to posts index

Dan Rayner
on Mar 25, 2015 at 12:01:54 am

Hi
That would certainly explain it but it doesn't appear to be the case.
And I've just checked that the missing generator is the same version on both computers and it is.
So I'm in the dark on this one atm.
Dan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 25, 2015 at 2:19:33 am

Which generator is it??

Is it a generator or a filter?

Return to posts index

Dan Rayner
on Mar 25, 2015 at 7:36:06 am

Hi
It's a custom generator, created in Motion obviously.
Dan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 25, 2015 at 2:58:22 pm

Can you post a screen grab of the issue?

Have you moved the exact generator to the exact same place on the laptop?

Have you tried to open it Motion and save a new copy on the laptop?

Return to posts index

Dan Rayner
on Mar 26, 2015 at 4:11:01 pm

Hi

The generator information is exactly the same on the MBP and the desktop and it is present in FCPX on both computers. The generator was shown as missing in the viewer even though it was visible on the time line. I dragged the missing generator to the timeline to replace the missing-but-visible generator and it worked fine. Until I open the project on the desktop whereupon it now, on playback, shows as missing in the viewer, but is visible on the timeline.

It was also doing the same behaviour with clips as I mentioned.

Return to posts index

Jungsuk Kang
on Mar 26, 2017 at 1:38:51 am

This month I have encountered same problem that Rosa Linda Román had. I somehow I just found solution below(you can skip no.1)

1. I selected clip which not showing and copy-paste it to exact same position. So 2 same clips on timeline. doubled up.
then It worked. Clip is showing with no problem in viewer. So I deleted 1 of them then It goes black again.

2. So I tried many other things, then found solution. Select your clip and right-click. choose "overwrite to Primary Storyline"
then mine worked completely. No hassle.

I hope you too solve this problem. Hope this method work for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]