FORUMS: list search recent posts

Conform footage in Apple Compressor 4.1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Frank
Conform footage in Apple Compressor 4.1
on Mar 16, 2014 at 2:58:58 pm

Hello

is there away to conform footage from 24fps to 25fps (or a other frame rate) in Apple Compressor 4.1?
I'em aware you can open up the clip in Cinema Tools and click conform and select the 25fps from the drop down and done.

But I do not have Cinema Tools on this Laptop only have access to latest FCP and Compressor.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Conform footage in Apple Compressor 4.1
on Mar 16, 2014 at 4:51:11 pm

You can conform perfectly in FCP X. Just place clip in the timeline and choose "automatic speed" front he retime menu.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Mar 16, 2014 at 5:18:43 pm

Thanks, but that seems very impractical to conform multiple clips for delivery.
I thought to conform you would use Rate Conform (24 converted to 25) and choose Frame Sampling Floor.

There are 85 files I need to pass on in 25fps to the editor.

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
on Mar 16, 2014 at 5:20:59 pm

As noted previously, simplest way is in FCPX.

In done in Compressor, the app will just add a duplicate frame every second if you choose Fast for Retiming Quality. Or it will manufacture a brand new frame every second if you choose Motion Compensated – and just to add, that will take about 4X as long to process.

Russ

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Mar 16, 2014 at 5:32:56 pm

So there is no conforming in Compressor as in Cinema Tools?

What about this... I add the clips in Compressor and set Frames Rate in the Video tab to 25 fps and ether set the rate in Set duration to 104% or check the So source frames play at 25 fps?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 16, 2014 at 5:36:59 pm

Yes. You beat me to it.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 16, 2014 at 5:36:26 pm

It's my understanding that you want to conform. So that means playing back 24 @ 25. Which means playing it back just slightly slower. Conforming.

IN compressor 4.1 you can set the frame rate to 25, then go back to the retiming menu under general and at the very bottom you should see a checkbox then to play back source frames @25.

Of course you'll under a recompression, just like X. But you'll be able to do a nice batch setting and process and walk away.

Too bad X doesn't have an export like DaVinci where you could throw all the clips in the timeline and they each get exported as a separate clip. That way you could trim the clips more easily if necessary and work in a simpler environment. But compressor isn't too bad.

Cinema tools is the real answer though. No reocmpression and instant results.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Mar 16, 2014 at 5:50:36 pm

So this work with out giving me any ghosting?
I just set the settings. the duration is set automatically to 96% . Why is it that in Final Cut Pro it will set the speed of the clip to 104% when I add a 24 fps clip in to a 25 fps timeline and choose auto retime?
Also what is the difference choosing retiming in the timeline and using Rate Conform in the inspector as what the Manual suggest?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 16, 2014 at 6:17:39 pm

Something is awry with X. When I do a test clip of 24p into a 25p timeline, it is automatically conforming it to 25p. A 24p clip of 1:13 is becoming 1:10 immediately when dropped into a 25p sequence. That is roughly 96% of the duration, which is what it should be AFTER conforming. FCP still reports that it's 100% speed, which, obviously it is not. Going frame by frame reveals no ghosting or duplicate frames.

In compressor it's totally right when you go by the process you mentioned. It reports 96% of the duration when you set it to playback source frames at 25p like we've mentioned. The duration comes out to the same duration when you apply no conforming in X. Further proving that X is screwing things up royally by applying the conform without any choice or notification.

So, compressor is your way to go obviously.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Mar 16, 2014 at 7:27:04 pm

Maybe that is why is sets it to 104% when choosing Automatic Speed.
The same it would do when adding a 120fps RED clip into the timeline

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 16, 2014 at 8:22:23 pm

104 % speed would be the correct conform. The result is a clip that is 96% length.

Problem is X is applying it to any 24 clip placed in a 25 sequence without any visible notification. If you then auto speed it , it's actually pushing it past 104% speed. An apparent bug.

Compressor seems fine. It speeds it up so the duration is 96% of the original. Which means it's playing faster, which is correct.

Return to posts index

Jerome Raim
on Mar 20, 2014 at 9:21:15 pm

As others have stated, Compressor 4.1 can conform your footage (but it is adding a level of compression - no big deal if you're in 422 HQ for instance).

You can also use Resolve (Lite). Bring all shots into the media pool. Select them all and change their framerate. You'll know it will have worked because the duration column will have changed. Again, this will add a layer of compression.

The only tool I know that is able to change the actual header of the quicktime is Cinema Tools (and since I've installed FCPX (or was it Mavericks?), Cinema Tools crashes as soon as I try opening it).

Jerome Raim
Post-Production
JeromeRaim.com

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on May 14, 2014 at 9:06:00 pm

I would like to conform all of my 60fps and 30fps to 24 prior to working with it in FCPX. It would be one thing if there was the ability to set "automatic Speed" to all the clips within the viewer (so that when I bring it to the timeline the length is accurate. I guess no one has found a way to batch conform outside of FCPX in mavericks. Would be great if someone posted their workflow.

I read above that davinchi can do it...too late as I will be unable to reconnect all of the files within my current project as they will have different frame rates. Ugh

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on May 14, 2014 at 9:11:20 pm

Are you wanting to playback 60fps footage in a 24fps timeline as for slow-motion or normal speed?

You can conform the footage in Compressor I found a step by step at fcp.co

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on May 14, 2014 at 9:26:44 pm

I would like the footage to be 24 when in import to FCPX so that I don't need to deal with "Automatic Speed" and so that when I add the clip to the timeline it doesn't mess the timing of my project up when I conform at a later point in the edit.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on May 14, 2014 at 9:28:24 pm

why not set your timeline to 24fps in FCPX and drop the 60fps footage into the timeline?

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on May 14, 2014 at 9:43:29 pm

Because then it drops the frames to make it 24 but it is not truly conformed ie it is real time speed

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on May 14, 2014 at 9:44:34 pm

So you want slow-motion? You can conform in FCPX to playback all 60fps in a 24fps timeline.

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on May 14, 2014 at 10:03:49 pm

yes of course. And I have ways of batch doing that (make all 60fps a specific role so that you can batch conform all your clips on the timeline) but the issue:

Ex) You have a 10 second timeline. You have a 2 second 24fps clip, 6 second 60fps clip, 2 second 24fps clip. You NEED that third clip to reside on second 8; well when you "automatic speed" your 60 clip that third clip no longer resides at second 8...see the issue. I don't want to have to move around my timeline every time I conform...especially since FCPX wants me to use a mouse so badly (for the love of god give me the ability to choose a clip other than the main TL clip with the keyboard)

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on May 14, 2014 at 10:10:28 pm

you can in the timeline index.
Not sure if I understand... you want your 60fps (slow-motion) play every frame in a 24fps timeline. If your clips are adjusting its length maybe trim or organise your clips in a way so it does not push your other clips.

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on May 14, 2014 at 11:11:54 pm

yes but sometimes I prefer to have the 60fps clips in the main timeline or sometimes in other groups. Also, if you are dealing with 1000's of clips then sometimes you don't know which are 60 when you add them to the timeline... Sounds like there is not a solution.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on May 15, 2014 at 7:20:55 am

Sorry it is a bit confusing, I still don't understand what you want to do?
If you want the 60 recorded frames per second in a 24fps project then why conform before importing?
Now if you import the 60fps in a 24fps timeline and mark so it will playback all frames in your 60fps footage it will extend. This is normal no matter which Application.

If you don't know which clips are in 60fps in your timeline or event manager... sound like you might want to look at your media management. FCPX is has great tools and is easy to use to find your media by it's attributes and metadata.

Did you jump by fcp.co yet?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]