FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timeline Index: Sort Alphabetically?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jenkins
Timeline Index: Sort Alphabetically?
on Mar 14, 2014 at 11:09:02 pm

I'm struggling to select the whole timeline, except clips from a certain keyword collection. It seems that if I could sort the timeline index alphabetically, it would easier to deselect those clips manually, because they would be grouped together. I can search the keyword and easily select all the clips that match, but how do I invert that selection so that those are the only deselected items? Am I making any sense?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Timeline Index: Sort Alphabetically?
on Mar 15, 2014 at 2:27:36 am

What are you trying to do with the clips you want to select?

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Mar 15, 2014 at 2:32:22 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "What are you trying to do with the clips you want to select?
"

I was able to go through the index and deselect the clips (one by one) I didn't want selected and it's a bit better than doing it on the timeline.

Basically, there were some clips I wanted to precomp in order to add effects to, but others that I didn't want to be affected (or "effect"ed).

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 15, 2014 at 4:55:00 am

Obviously you didn't know you'd want to do this in advance...

But the next time, you could just set a Composite Shot role and apply it to that class of shots when you import them.

20/20 hindsight and all.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 15, 2014 at 5:50:17 pm

I'm not exactly sure if this would work for you but why not search and select the keyword.

Compund those, then select everything in the index but the compound, make your adjusements, then break apart the original compund.

Again, not sure of that would work, but maybe?

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Mar 15, 2014 at 6:16:54 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "why not search and select the keyword.

Compund those, then select everything in the index but the compound, make your adjusements, then break apart the original compund. "

I actually tried this, but oddly, the compound did not stay in place and ended up at the end of the timeline. I got scared and "undoed" it! I should probably duplicate the project before trying a bunch of unknown operations. Sure would be handy if an index selection could be inverted.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]