FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clips rearranging themselves inappropriately (AKA: Selecting multiple clips the right way)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jenkins
Clips rearranging themselves inappropriately (AKA: Selecting multiple clips the right way)
on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:21:57 pm
Last Edited By Jason Jenkins on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:23:54 pm

My first week using 10.1.1 and running into some weirdness. I have an 11 minute rough cut timeline, clips only in the primary at this point. 720p timeline with 1080p footage. I want to scale up every other clip to 150% to hide the edits with "focal length" changes. I've done this in a couple of different ways in earlier versions of FCPX. I made a Motion scale effect so I could apply the effect in one 'swell foop' to multiple selected clips. The downside is that there seems to be a performance hit versus the second method, which is just using the scale and position parameters within FCPX. As I recall, I was not able to select multiple clips and affect all their scale and position parameters simultaneously, in previous versions. I am now attempting to do that in 10.1.1.; or to copy and paste attributes to multiple selected clips.

The problem: When I select multiple clips and paste attributes, or attempt to change their scale and position parameters universally, the clips rearrange themselves on the timeline, horizontally (chronologically). Not good!

Note: As I have typed this post and experimented, I have discovered that the method of clip selection seems to cause the issue. If when command + clicking multiple clips, I inadvertently barely nudge the position of a clip, then the clips will reorder themselves according to some kind of grouping functionality. But not until I have completed the paste operation by hitting 'paste' or scale and position operations by hitting 'enter'. The bottom line is that I need to command + drag over each clip for selection instead of command + clicking, in order to eliminate any clip nudging.

Thanks for enduring my babbling while I work out my own problems :)

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Clips rearranging themselves inappropriately (AKA: Selecting multiple clips the right way)
on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:40:32 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "The bottom line is that I need to command + drag over each clip for selection instead of command + clicking, in order to eliminate any clip nudging."

Try using the timeline index. It's a much better way of selecting multiple clips, and will preclude you from accidentally moving the group. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Clips rearranging themselves inappropriately (AKA: Selecting multiple clips the right way)
on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:45:13 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Try using the timeline index. It's a much better way of selecting multiple clips, and will preclude you from accidentally moving the group. :-)"

That works quite nicely. Thanks!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]