FORUMS: list search recent posts

10.1 join clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
10.1 join clips
on Mar 11, 2014 at 3:40:46 pm

Hi, so a little late to the 10.1 party, but i've been checking it out and one of the features i was looking forward to was being able to join clips that had been cut.

in FCP7 you would click the join mark and hit enter and it was job done. It appears that in 10.1 though you need to highlight both the sides of the clip and then you can only use a drop down option from the trim menu. No shortcut.

is this correct? And if so, why on earth add a great and useful feature and make it so clunky. is there a pathological desire to NOT use any features as were from 7 even if they are obviously great? Or is the shortcut a 'feature' they'll add later to bump up a release patch notes section?

it's like two steps forwards one step back at times.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
Re: 10.1 join clips
on Mar 11, 2014 at 3:42:32 pm

Ok, should have done a bit more investigating in the app rather than relying on google to offer the info up. You can assign a keystroke, but in their wisdom they decided to not include it by default.

that's great.

Still a shame you can't click the join and hit the keystroke rather than having to drag over the two clips.

Still, half way there :)

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:25:49 pm

Try selecting the join (either side) and hitting the delete key. Works fine.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:26:53 pm

probably misunderstanding how you mean because when i do it it just deletes both the clips!

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:28:02 pm

Don't select the clips. Select the edit point between the clips.

Andy

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:29:51 pm

ah, got it now. Basically it confused me first off as it only highlights with the yellow on one or the other clips, whereas my assumption would have been that both sides were highlighted, but it does indeed work as I wish, so griping about the UI representation of the process is a tad picky.

Many thanks, it's a feature I have been wanting from the off so great I now know how to use it and it works as wanted :)

Thanks for your time Andy, appreciated.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:33:25 pm

Yeah, it's a little strange on the surface. Probably because in FCP7, selecting an edit point with the selection tool would default to selecting both sides whereas in X, it defaults to selecting one side or the other. Though from a feature standpoint, things like Join Clips and adding transitions still apply the same way. Glad you're set. Cheers.

Andy

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:34:27 pm

yep, that's why it confused me. though a bit more adventurousness on my behalf and I may have figured it ou for myself :) Still, cheers and all good now :)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:35:28 pm

You can also use the keyboard to go to the next cut (semi-colon, and comma on US keyboard), then use the backslash key to select both sides of that cut (as long as clips are in the primary, if they are in the secondary, you have to select either side of the cut with mouse and then hit backslash) then hit delete.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]