FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX 10.1.1 Consolidating used portion of clips only

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon GM Li
FCPX 10.1.1 Consolidating used portion of clips only
on Mar 11, 2014 at 11:51:06 am

Hi Fellow Creative Cows

Apologies in advance if I have failed to search for an answer to this, but I am seeing very little on this topic.

My question is; How do I consolidate my media in FCPX 10.1.1 so that I only copy/consolidate the actual part of the media I have used.

To explain my practical application, I have a bunch of diving videos which I have added to a timeline and clipped out the tops and tails and any other spurious parts I don't need. I'm sure you can all appreciate that as a dive cameraman, I spin up the camera and fiddle about with my kit and buoyancy, and then wait for ages for the shark to swim by. That means I get a 10 minute clip, where I am only pulling 30 secs to my timeline.

I have clipped up all my "30 second bits", but when I consolidate (bear in mind I am using 10.1.1), it copies the whole "10 minute" rush into my library. How do I get only the 30secs I want?

Thanks in advance everyone...!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX 10.1.1 Consolidating used portion of clips only
on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:36:57 pm

[Simon GM Li] "My question is; How do I consolidate my media in FCPX 10.1.1 so that I only copy/consolidate the actual part of the media I have used."

You can't. Only full clips are copied, there is no trim media function.

Please send feedback to Apple!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:07:29 pm

[Simon GM Li] "
My question is; How do I consolidate my media in FCPX 10.1.1 so that I only copy/consolidate the actual part of the media I have used."

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I do this outside of FCPX in QT7 before I even open Final Cut. It doesn't work for all usages of clips, but if you have a general idea of what you need before editing, it works fine. Then, sometimes I keep the original set of clips, but sometimes I don't if the rest of the clip is junk.

Dave

Return to posts index

Simon GM Li
on Mar 12, 2014 at 7:22:32 am

Thanks Jeremy, Dave

Jeremy; yes, I will feedback as this is quite a fundamental archiving tool for editors! I believe FCPX 10.9 does allow this, but not 10.1

Dave; your idea is a good one, and perfect for the "top and tailing" that I need.

The alternative that I have settled on is quite simple and convenient. I am exporting a master file in a similar format to the original. It does mean I get one very long clip, but it is only of the material that I need.

Return to posts index

Doug Suiter
on Mar 12, 2014 at 11:05:46 pm

[Simon GM Li] "I believe FCPX 10.9 does allow this, but not 10.1"

Unfortunately no this has never been a feature of FCPX. I've been waiting for it since 10.0

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 13, 2014 at 2:51:41 am

Even Premiere doesn't do this with file formats that are h264, mpeg, etc. Not sure about Avid. And if you use h264 in 7, even though you're not supposed to, and run it through media manager, the h264 clips will remain full and won't get clipped to handles. With ProRes or DV or other edit friendly codecs all it has to do is duplicate the frames requested. But an h264 and the like would have to be recompressed. Why it isn't smart enough to jump to the first keyframe I have no idea. And why X won't at least give the option for clipping ProRes I don't know. But, it's not surprising as it's missing a lot of nuances like that. Hopefully it's on their list, but for me I don't care so much as I'm not generally using ProRes anymore, so the originals, even if they are super long clips, only take up 10% of the room that ProRes did anyway.

Return to posts index

Doug Suiter
on Mar 12, 2014 at 8:16:13 am

This is 100% my most hoped for feature.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]