COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Denegre
FCPX Capture Scratch
on Mar 10, 2014 at 8:29:36 pm

My goal is to do the following:
1. Ingest 25p footage from several cameras (c300, fs100, af100, gh3) using fcpx
2. Take the raw footage, throw it on a hard drive and send it off to the client

In FCP7 this worked fine as I could copy all the files from "Capture Scratch" onto whatever drive I desired. With fcpx, it's all packed into the library file. How can I access just the raw footage that I've uncompressed?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: FCPX Capture Scratch
on Mar 10, 2014 at 8:58:30 pm

The thing is that unless you've told X to transcode to Original Media (ProRes) or to Proxy files - the media files referenced by X remain in the formats you import them in. This is the POINT of the X workflow.

It's not like Legacy requiring initial transcoding into the timeline format prior to starting operations.

If you Do elect to make optimized media during ingest, then there will be clips tucked away inside X in a single format that you could copy - but using X as a transcoding engine is not particularly efficient compared to other choices.

Also, you'll likely need to install the proper ingest translators for the clips coming off cameras such as the C300 since X doesn't natively read those specific files without the proper format parser installed.

Just a heads up.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Dan Denegre
on Mar 10, 2014 at 9:20:11 pm

Thank you for the heads up - I have the c300 plugin installed from canon, so I can import the media without issue.

For this kind of situation, what other way would you suggest ingesting besides using FCPX?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 11, 2014 at 5:23:49 am

If you're just transcoding from various incoming formats and want to export to a single format to send consistent files to a client, one of the batch transcoders and often do what you need without having to launch any NLE. And depending on the mezzanine or editing format you require, it might be easier to pre-conform all your clips to one standard before you edit

Handbrake is really good in the low cost arena.
Telestream Episode is probably has the most licensed export options and exceptional quality, but it will run you a few hundred bucks.

Just two options among many.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 11, 2014 at 6:33:04 pm

I have found that any time I ever considered Episode, I needed the Pro version, which is $1200. Even the standard is $600.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Mar 14, 2014 at 1:38:09 pm

[Bret Williams] "I have found that any time I ever considered Episode, I needed the Pro version, which is $1200."

True enough... and unfortunately it's worth it based on how often we use it...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 10, 2014 at 9:14:34 pm

[Dan Denegre] "In FCP7 this worked fine as I could copy all the files from "Capture Scratch" onto whatever drive I desired. With fcpx, it's all packed into the library file. "

It doesn't have to be.

When you import, you can choose where to put it in the import window under the Media Storage options (click the drop down and choose "Choose...".

If you have already imported, choose the Library (or specific Event) file and go to File > Consolidate Library (Event) Files and choose a destination.

You can also right click on a Library in the Finder and chose to "Show Package Contents" and then find the Event folder and Original Media folder within it, and copy those files to the external drive.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dan Denegre
on Mar 10, 2014 at 9:18:51 pm

Excellent! This is super helpful. Thank you for this - I'll try the copy and show package content method.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]