FORUMS: list search recent posts

My favorite, lesser known improvements of FCPX 10.1.1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Neil
My favorite, lesser known improvements of FCPX 10.1.1
on Mar 10, 2014 at 7:24:02 pm

A lot has been said about the new media management/structure of Libraries, and certainly it's neat. But now that I've been playing around with the new version for a few weeks, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite features/improvements that were touted as much (or at all), but are great nonetheless.

Range Tool can select keyframes for adjust/delete. This works in the Video animation section (for opacity only) as well as in audio clips. Shift selecting works for the other keyframes in video animation (such as Transform and such).

You can now drag the volume segment lines between keyframes left/right as well as up/down.

You can reveal opacity keyframes in the Video Animation menu by double clicking the opacity section rather than having to find that little tiny icon in the upper right. Time saver for those of us who regularly keyframe opacity.

Transform tool can now be closed with keyboard instead of requiring a mouse click on the "Done" button. Now, you can just hit Enter to exit the transform tool.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: My favorite, lesser known improvements of FCPX 10.1.1
on Mar 10, 2014 at 7:32:58 pm

[Andy Neil] "
Range Tool can select keyframes for adjust/delete. This works in the Video animation section (for opacity only) as well as in audio clips. Shift selecting works for the other keyframes in video animation (such as Transform and such)."

You can also copy and paste those keyframes!

[Andy Neil] "Transform tool can now be closed with keyboard instead of requiring a mouse click on the "Done" button. Now, you can just hit Enter to exit the transform tool."

Not in my world. I still can press A like always to exit, but enter or return does nothing but make an annoying error sound.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 10, 2014 at 7:35:21 pm

Nice list, Andy. These are my faves:

_Add to Soloed clips, which allows you to expand your soloed selection (this is not mapped by default, but I mapped it to option-shift-s)

_New KB shortcuts for Color board (Color/Saturation/Exposure) and then shortcuts to each puck. AS well as a shortcut to toggle the effect on an off (some of these might have been there already, but I noticed them in 10.1)

_Custom Speeds

_Trim to playhead function

_Many of the new Show/Hide Options

_And quite possibly my fave, as I like some of the new Library structure, but certainly not all of it, Reveal Project in Browser.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 10, 2014 at 8:06:30 pm

[Bret Williams] "Not in my world. I still can press A like always to exit, but enter or return does nothing but make an annoying error sound."

Not sure why you're having problems. The viewer has to be active so maybe you need to hit CMD+3 to make sure it's active before hitting Enter?

[Jeremy Garchow] "_Trim to playhead function"

I had to look this one up because I use Trim End and Trim Start and Trim to Selection all the time. Do you think I should fill out a Feedback form for misspellings? :-)

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 10, 2014 at 8:13:59 pm

[Andy Neil] "I had to look this one up because I use Trim End and Trim Start and Trim to Selection all the time. Do you think I should fill out a Feedback form for misspellings? :-)"

Yes! Maybe? I don't know. It's been there since 10.1!

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/64480

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 10, 2014 at 8:15:13 pm

[Andy Neil] "Do you think I should fill out a Feedback form for misspellings? :-)"

Yes. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 10, 2014 at 9:11:57 pm

[Andy Neil] "[Bret Williams] "Not in my world. I still can press A like always to exit, but enter or return does nothing but make an annoying error sound."

Not sure why you're having problems. The viewer has to be active so maybe you need to hit CMD+3 to make sure it's active before hitting Enter?"

I see it works if you do that. Usually the problem is I've gone back to editing and realize that the skimmer isn't working. So pressing A is a better choice in that case than going back to the viewer and pressing enter.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 10, 2014 at 9:17:37 pm

[Bret Williams] "I see it works if you do that. Usually the problem is I've gone back to editing and realize that the skimmer isn't working. So pressing A is a better choice in that case than going back to the viewer and pressing enter."

This is kind of my problem with the Done button in the other thread. It's not very obvious or very consistent.

You can still skim in the Event Browser, you can't in the timeline.

The Done button can be totally hidden (either the Browser is selected, or the playhead is parked on another clip), and you still can't skim in the timeline. It's not very intuitive.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 10, 2014 at 9:44:46 pm

I always have the event viewer up at all times. So it doesn't get hidden that way. But I do move on down the timeline and it gets hidden that way. I'm not really looking for the done button. Just the crop lines or the transform lines. But they disappear too. At least the tool is a bright blue under the viewer as a clue. I always just hit A or whatever tool I need next. P, R, A, H, B, Z, etc. They all work. I think it's really no different than legacy in that you're choosing the crop tool or the distort tool, and you simply select another tool to get out of it. But they could fix all this by just keeping the skimmer functional in crop, distort, or transform.

The other day the skimmer was ticking me off so I worked most of the day without it. Even in the browser I had list view, and just clicked down the clip instead of skimming. I felt like I was being a little more precise in the timeline too. Plus my number of seizures dropped considerably and I'm sleeping better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]