FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copy and Pasting Text

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Vandall
Copy and Pasting Text
on Mar 10, 2014 at 4:32:29 pm

Hi all,

So I made a text layer, along with a background, and turned it into a compound clip. I want to use that compound clip as title cards in a piece I am working on. As I was working I copied and pasted that first compound clip and changed the text for each title card.

I discovered that if I change one text layer in one compound clip. It makes that change across all of the text layers in the compound clip.

Is there a work around? I want to be able to work fast and I hope I don't have to build a new compound clip of backgrounds and text every time.

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Copy and Pasting Text
on Mar 10, 2014 at 5:01:42 pm

[Peter Vandall] "Is there a work around? I want to be able to work fast and I hope I don't have to build a new compound clip of backgrounds and text every time. "

This is how CC's are designed to function. To create additional versions without changing all the others, select the CC and choose "reference New Parent Clip" in the Clip Menu. It will create a new, independent copy. You can assign a KB command if you're doing this a lot...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 10, 2014 at 5:09:04 pm

Coumpound clips are a special breed - and probably one of the most miss-used elements of FCP=X.

While you can find instructions for breaking the links between multiple instances of compound cups in a single storyline , I'd HIGHLY recommend you spend some quality time researching them "as a class" by reading up on what compound clips are and how they actually work.

They're an incredible tool. But they are a new concept since they not only "package" different digital assets together, they also reflect back into your Events as a kind of a two way round trip.

Learning to manage them is a big deal if you want to continue to build your skill as a FCP-X editor.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 10, 2014 at 5:15:14 pm

Not a new concept. Worked very similarly in 7. Although they kept changing the method. Edit a nest (compound) in 7 from a bin to multiple timelines and they all referred back to the same nested sequence in the bin. You could change them all by changing the one. In 7, copy and paste or option drag creates a new instance, of which there is no representation in the bin. But in previous versions/updates copy and paste would link back, and option drag would be a new instance. Or vice versa. Never knew if that was a feature or a bug.

To follow their FCP legacy lead, they changed the way it works in X too along the way. They used to be separate, but now they all link back.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Copy and Pasting Text in FCP-Zombie!
on Mar 10, 2014 at 7:04:04 pm

[Bret Williams] "Not a new concept. Worked very similarly in 7. "

Well, yes, but some of us just don't want to waste our time harkening back to how things worked in a past that is no longer.

Basically, does it really matter any more how our OLD software used to function?

I know it's still out there - used by legions of the faithful who just can't let it go. But honestly, it's a ZOMBIE.

IT walks among us - and IT refuses to die! But it's also sloughing flesh and getting NO nutrition so eventually It's GOING to stagger to a final unhealthy shuffle off to death.

Zombie land should scare you, and you should probably RUN away from it NOW.

There are boats leaving every day to take you to safety. BIGSHIPS to Avidland, Classic Boats bound for the more traditional comforts of PremierLand (tho the rent there is uncertain and endless I'm told) and there's the land of X, where I'm assured everything is always either golden hour or softly moonlit - revealing beautiful naked dancing sprites at every turn - and most of one's work automatically gets done FOR YOU leaving you ample time to play three dimensional golf all day and eat buckets of creamy chowder yet never get fat! (your mileage may vary.)

All these lands by definition MUST be much more pleasant than ZOMBIE LAND - that barren wasteland where too many editors have consigned themselves via spells of indecision.

Every day that you wake up and turn your brain to thoughts of the ZOMBIE - stare at the ZOMBIE, or worse, USE the Zombie - you're making the choice to dwell in Zombieland.

Yet seem to think living in a world WITHOUT the Zombies is so scary that you must compare ALL contenders to and invoke Zombieland at every turn?

Well, Ok then.

: )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 10, 2014 at 7:29:38 pm

Just pointing out some misinformation. I love X, but what you said simply wasn't true. Compound clips in X aren't some new groundbreaking concept. If you don't want to compare things with the past, then don't make claims against the past.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 10, 2014 at 10:33:50 pm

[Bret Williams] " Compound clips in X aren't some new groundbreaking concept. If you don't want to compare things with the past, then don't make claims against the past."

I think the metadata flow concepts in X are precisely groundbreaking. They weren't possible in Legacy since in it, the dismounting of any Project shut down ALL access to any metadata management or change.

And since compound clips are the one way you can express metadata changes back upstream into your Events in a connected fashion that allows two way information exchange between your storyline and your Events - I kinda think they are pretty special.

The fact that you need to break such a link in order to disengage the persistent link between the two has much different implications for workflow than did the much dumber "nesting" and "sub clipping" in Legacy - arrangements that were essentially "shut down" the moment you closed your projects, rather than persistently available for the editor across projects (at least within a Library in 10.1) as they are in X.

I don't think that's a minor distinction at all.

I think it's a pretty major one.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 10, 2014 at 11:47:00 pm

What metadata flows back to the event?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 11, 2014 at 5:34:33 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Mar 11, 2014 at 5:34:59 am

[Bret Williams] "What metadata flows back to the event?"

Uh, LOTS of it.

Stack two clips. Resize them into picture in picture. Make the smaller P*P Black and White.
Make the stack a Compound Clip.
Look in the Event Browser at the Compound.

See how the inner PIP in the compound is black and white?

Why?

Because the color change metadata you created flowed back up into the CC expression in the Event.

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:29:18 pm

Thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:39:01 pm

Interesting way to look at it. But I don't see changes to a compound clip as data flowing back from the sequence to the event browser. When you create a compound, it's simply creating a new sequence in the browser from the selected clips and placing that clip in the sequence. When you double click into a compound clip from an instance of it in a sequence and make changes, you're not sending any magical data back to the browser. You're simply opening up that sequence from the event and adjusting it. Look at the breadcrumb navigation at the top of the timeline window. It doesn't list the sequence, and then the compound. It displays the event, then the compound. If you change what the clip IS in the event, then it changes in the sequence. You could have instead opened the compound clip directly in the event.

In legacy, if you highlighted two clips and nested them, it'd ask you for a name and place that nest in the bin. Exactly the same as X. If I then double click that nest in the sequence, all changes made will be also made to the sequence in the bin. Or I could edit the nest from within the bin and the changes would be addressed across all instances of that nest. The only difference I see between X and Legacy in the regard of nests/compounds is that breaking the link to the sequence in the bin/event has to be more deliberate in X, whereas a duplication or copy/paste command in legacy would do it. X's implementation is much better in this regard and others. But any perceived backward data flow is the same in both apps.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 14, 2014 at 2:49:31 am

[Bret Williams] "Interesting way to look at it. But I don't see changes to a compound clip as data flowing back from the sequence to the event browser."

I'm not surprised. It's the most common problem of experienced editors having a tougher time "seeing" some of the the ways the new systems function because they're conditioned to "thinking" in terms of how older style software did things.

BTW, nothing I'm discussing says that my way of "seeing" how X works is superior to anyone else's. It's simply my mental chalkboard that helps me keep the program's functions making sense.

I will say that I've become firmly convinced that ANY time I spend judging " X operations in the exclusive context of how they compare to Legacy - is nearly a total waste of time.

For me, it would be like owning a killer sports car - and constantly thinking about how it compares to the half-ton truck I were driving in 2011.

What's the point?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]