FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X - Sony F55 Workflow.. Any Ideas?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Ash Brennan
FCP X - Sony F55 Workflow.. Any Ideas?
on Mar 5, 2014 at 4:35:56 am

Hey guys.. thanks for years of problem solving, but now I have a problem that needs immediate attention and I can't find a solution anywhere on the net.
I recently shot a clip using Sony F55 2K XAVC 422 High Intra.
Although being an AVID broadcast trained editor, I have been using FCP 7 at home for the past 2 years and now am as competent on FCP as I am on AVID. I was told that FCP7 wouldn't handle the edit as FCP7 doesn't work with that codec.
Then I figured I would just Convert the clips to ProRes(as per usual). However, the converted Prores Clips didn't look as crisp at the XAVC files.
I took Apples advice and purchased FCP X and downloaded the Sony Content browsing software.
So here's my issue.
Whist i'm in the Content Browser, I Select my Clip then select 'Import to Final Cut Pro'
All my settings are pointing to the right drives as well as selecting Final Cut Pro X.
When I do this I get the Error message ' A Clip that cannot be imported to Final Cut Pro is included. There may be no codec for FCP. Please confirm the Update information of FCP.'
So, I guess there is a box I haven't ticked or this is an AVID Job.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: FCP X - Sony F55 Workflow.. Any Ideas?
on Mar 5, 2014 at 5:38:45 am

You may need a specific plugin for ingesting this footage similar to how you need the XF Plugin for Canon C300 footage. I'd look around for a Sony plugin for FCPX.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Anthony Ash Brennan
on Mar 5, 2014 at 5:44:02 am

Cheers Andy
Thanks for taking time out to respond
Ash

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 5, 2014 at 12:51:07 pm

I routinely use F55 footage. You have a few options.

You can purchase an MXF component for OSX to use the camera files (this is worth the cost if you work with MXF files).

Or you can download the free importer from Sony.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/pdzk-lt2

This will rewrap the XAVC MXF files to XAVC .mov files via the FCPX import window.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Anthony Ash Brennan
on Mar 6, 2014 at 9:22:57 am

Cheers Jeremy
Legend!

Return to posts index

Anthony Ash Brennan
on Mar 6, 2014 at 9:23:33 am

So I guess you are screwed if you have FCP 7?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 6, 2014 at 2:46:29 pm

Depends on what you mean by screwed.

If using the MXF component (like MXF4mac) then 1080 XAVC files work just fine in fcp7

4k files, however, do not.

There is no Sony log and transfer plugin for fcp7.

You can use fcpx to rewrap the MXF files to XAVC mov or transcode to ProRes mov.

Both XAVC and ProRes movs @1080 will work in fcp7.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

chris king
on Dec 22, 2014 at 8:44:53 am

Just download the Sony XAVC plug-in for Final Cut Pro X that enables you to import Sony F55 XAVC files whether HD, up to 4K into Final Cut Pro X for immediate, native editing without transcoding.As for changing “XAVC” to “ProRes”, it’s still be a common practice when guys failed to install the plug-in correctly or still failed to bring XAVC to FCP X even with the plug-in installed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]