FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Offset

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Koby
Frame Offset
on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:32:27 pm

One of our FCPX systems has what I'm guessing to be a one or two frame offset from the computer monitor to the broadcast monitor. Perhaps it has something to do with the path the signal takes to get to the broadcast monitor. I have never looked for a frame offset preference in fcpx because we've never needed it before.

Is this correct that the frame offset pref (like the one in legacy under playback control) does not exist in x? Would such a setting exist in a pref file that we don't have access to from the gui?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Frame Offset
on Mar 4, 2014 at 8:00:29 pm

I would love to find this as well, if anyone has an answer...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 4, 2014 at 8:34:39 pm

Adding it to my list. I decided to keep a real-time log of things that bug me as I edit. I just keep notes open and keep adding things. Not big wants, but just little things from little extras that legacy had to outright missing features. It's not a bug list.

In two days I came up with 30 things/functions I needed. Thats the rule of the list. I don't write it down until I come across it in actual practice. My monitor is a couple frames off too so I'm adding it.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 4, 2014 at 8:50:56 pm

No offset setting that I know of, but to be a frame or two off is completely normal in my experience. I have never seen any NLE that is perfectly in sync with the desktop, unless the desktop display is delayed to compensate. This is worse depending on the monitor you use. Plasmas and LCDs are worse than CRTs. Could also be a driver issue or latency in the i/o device. In my experience, though, X has seemed the closest of any of the NLEs, so the delay is generally not noticeable. Another variable is frame rate and whether any compensation is going on, like added 3:2 pulldown (which X does not do internally on-the-fly to the output, like FCP 7).

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 4, 2014 at 8:56:57 pm

I remember Avid used to drive the computer monitor with it's own card or off the same card that drove the breakout box. So they were always in sync. But that's back when we were using two 640x480 displays!

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Mar 4, 2014 at 8:59:01 pm

Hey Oliver,

I agree that fcpx is much closer than other NLEs. I'm just missing that feature from 7 where we could control the amount of compensation on playback.

I think some editors are accustom to there being a difference between the gui and the external. We use the external (sdi) monitor for our audio monitoring, so it's a bit irritating when you do look at the gui monitor in X and it is out of sync with the external audio.

Keith

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 5, 2014 at 4:10:36 pm

When I'm editing to music I find myself covering the X viewer or turning my head and closing one eye so I don't see it. When you make marks on the fly though, better to turn off external all together because you're reacting to something 2-4 frames delayed. That was the same with 7, because the playback offset just delayed the canvas so it matched the external.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Mar 10, 2014 at 9:18:07 pm
Last Edited By Jason Jenkins on Mar 10, 2014 at 9:20:57 pm

My FCPX ioXT system is off by one frame. Strangely, the SDI monitor plays back one frame ahead of the viewer window. When playback stops, the monitor jumps back a frame to match the viewer. Really annoying; particularly with 24p video that has a lot of motion.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]