FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying / pasting markers in FCP X browser

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kristel Ottis
Copying / pasting markers in FCP X browser
on Mar 3, 2014 at 11:29:15 pm

I'm trying to do something very simple: copy an existing marker in the FCP X browser and paste it into another clip in the browser.

If I "Copy Marker" (using right-click) and paste it into the next clip, I end up with the timecode that marks the beginning of the second clip (10:48:33:21), not the correct marker timecode (11:00:45:08).

What am I doing wrong? Or is it another one of those things that takes 4 steps in FCPX than it does in Final Cut 7?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Copying / pasting markers in FCP X browser
on Mar 4, 2014 at 2:41:59 am

[Kristel Ottis] "What am I doing wrong? Or is it another one of those things that takes 4 steps in FCPX than it does in Final Cut 7?
"

copy. select next clip and type in target timecode, paste.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Kristel Ottis
on Mar 4, 2014 at 2:52:45 pm

That's what I did until now, but it didn't seem like the smartest option to have to type in the timecode manually each time (especially since I have to paste the marker to 10+ angles every time, for syncing).

Is there really no way to copy+paste timecodes in FCPX?

Thanks for the reply!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 4, 2014 at 3:53:50 pm

If the TC is the same on all the clips, why wouldn't you use TC for syncing?

Return to posts index

Kristel Ottis
on Mar 4, 2014 at 3:58:51 pm

Because I'm syncing the 10+ camera angles with audio tracks that won't have the same timecode.

Could I do the syncing in two passes? First the audio tracks + one camera angle using markers, then the rest of the camera angles based on the first angle's TC.

Return to posts index

Kristel Ottis
on Mar 4, 2014 at 4:10:28 pm

Should have clarified: my goal is to end up with a multicam clip that contains all 10 camera angles and 3 wavs/aiffs.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's possible to do a synchronization pass before making a new multicam clip...

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 4, 2014 at 4:40:54 pm

[Kristel Ottis] "Should have clarified: my goal is to end up with a multicam clip that contains all 10 camera angles and 3 wavs/aiffs.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's possible to do a synchronization pass before making a new multicam clip..."

Not a multi cam expert, but it seems like you could make a multi cam using TC with the 10 video angles, open the multi cam clip, and add the 3 audio angles manually, as you know the sync point. Or maybe theres an automatic way to do it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 4, 2014 at 6:30:24 pm

[Kristel Ottis] "Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's possible to do a synchronization pass before making a new multicam clip..."

No, but you can do one after.

Sync the 10 camera angles, then sync an audio file, and the sync the other two files to that.

Does the audio match any of the camera angles?

Return to posts index

Kristel Ottis
on Mar 4, 2014 at 6:47:41 pm

Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm currently trying to wrap my head around what exactly is happening when I sync the multicam clip to one of the audio tracks -- I'm not seeing any options as far as angle synchronization goes. (You'd think you'd be able to choose between marker, TC, waveform, etc.?)

Sadly the audio doesn't match any of the angles.

The joys of switching to FCPX...

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:02:51 pm

[Kristel Ottis] "The joys of switching to FCPX..."

Go to the FCP X Help menu. Type in "Create multicam clips in the Browser"

It's pretty easy... :-)

Return to posts index

Kristel Ottis
on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:09:09 pm

I know how to create multicam clips. How do I sync a bunch of footage using TC and then sync the sound using markers though?

The only time I seem to get a choice between sync types is when I create a multicam clip. Once that's been created, I don't see an obvious way of syncing it with more footage using markers (other than bringing it to the Timeline and doing it manually, using snapping).

Unfortunately, the timeline option doesn't work for me, because my next step is creating keywords that need to result in timecodes in the browser (for xml export). For some reason, you can only see keyword TCs in the browser if you mark in+out points in the browser viewer.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:17:38 pm

[Kristel Ottis] "The only time I seem to get a choice between sync types is when I create a multicam clip. Once that's been created, I don't see an obvious way of syncing it with more footage using markers (other than bringing it to the Timeline and doing it manually, using snapping). "

Ahh, gotcha. I thought you could choose these options at any point and maybe you'd missed it. Hopefully someone who actually knows how to do this -- unlike me ;-) -- will chime in. :-)

Return to posts index

Kristel Ottis
on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:18:45 pm

Sorry for not being more clear and thanks so much for trying to help. :)

I have a feeling it might just be one of "those" FCPX quirks though...

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:36:54 pm

I'm not near my desk and haven't done this in a while - but when you Add a multicam angle, can't you just sync that angle using any of the options that you could use for the original group sync pass?

I know for a fact that I've done lots of "multiple pass" sync sessions where, for example, I'd sync half a dozen cameras that had decent scratch tracks like DSLR via the audio - then go back and ADD groups of other camera - such as multiple GoPros which were mounted in waterproof housings and so had essentially NO audio tracks - and add them on a separate pass using markers.

You do NOT have to sync up everything in one pass in X multicam. And you can certainly choose alternate sync options for various sync passes.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:57:17 pm

You can very easily sync the 10 video angles via tc. And if a multi clip is already created, you can use the "sync to the monitoring angle" function after you add more angles. It actually allows you to choose a frame to sync to.

I am unsure of what you material consists of, but it seems to me, once you get the 10 angles in sync, adding three audio tracks manually wouldn't be too big of a deal. If there's no matching tc, and no matching audio, this is what would have to happen anyway.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]