FORUMS: list search recent posts

Odd playback problem - not seen before...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Howard
Odd playback problem - not seen before...
on Mar 3, 2014 at 6:23:51 pm

Hello,

I read these discussions all the time and searched thoroughly before posting this to no avail..

I use FCPX (since 10.1). The video playback plays for a while then stutters and freezes, sometimes with audio still going, sometimes not. I rebooted everything and the behaviour continues.

Now I know all too well about the sluggishness we can experience with FCP when things get crammed with not enough RAM and so on (especially with FCPX). But this it not the same behaviour. It seems to get confused, the audio gets loud and tangled and then stalls. As soon as I press the space bar to stop the playback and press again to start, the video plays normally for a while, then sometimes stops again.

So to troubleshoot further I went directly the video files in the finder and was surprised to see the same troubling behaviour erratically across several files. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn’t. It seems to happen more frequently with XDCAM-based Quicktime files and especially when I playback with QuickLook (just selecting the file in the finder and pressing the space bar to quickly view the content). I did also see the problem in ProRes files but less frequently it seemed.

I went back to FCP X to test more extensively and found the problem on and off while previewing in the event browser as well as on the timeline.

So I wondered if there might be a problem with QuickTime on a system-wide basis – or perhaps my graphics card, which is an aging NVIDIA Geforce GT 120 512 MB.

At this point I am not sure how to troubleshoot further and would greatly appreciate any insight or solutions any of you might have to offer. Shouls I simply change my card? Is there someway to reset QuickTime?

SPECS:
Mac Pro Early 2009
8 Core
28 Gigs Ram
NVIDIA Geforce GT 120 512 MB
Deckling Extreme HD (for monitoring)
Mavericks 10.9.2
FCPX 10.1
- Haven’t installed any major plugins yet
- Clean system installed about a month ago

NOTE: I have been reading these forum posts for years and have learned so much from all of you. Thank you!!!!!

Sebastian W. Howard
Batchfilms
Sculpting Life Into Moving Pictures

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Odd playback problem - not seen before...
on Mar 3, 2014 at 6:33:35 pm

[Sebastian Howard] "NVIDIA Geforce GT 120 512 MB"

While there may be other issues, that GPU is barley adequate for running FCP X. Also, X runs like crap on older Mac Pro's, even if they spec out "higher" than new machines.

Again, that may not be the whole problem, but it's likely contributing to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 3, 2014 at 6:48:02 pm

I had the same issue today on late 2012 iMac. Turning off AV output put a stop to it. Any chance you're using a BMD device?

Reboot didn't fix. But updating to the new 10.0 driver did. It just came out less than a week ago apparently. Seems to have fixed it for now.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Howard
on Mar 3, 2014 at 8:51:07 pm

AWESOME!! Thank you Bret!!! Your solution seems to have solved my problem entirely. I uninstalled the previous MBD driver (Desktopvideo_9.9.3) and installed the new 10.0 driver and have been testing various playbacks for a while now without hiccups. I am super grateful!

I am surprised however that my MBD Deckling Extreme card was affecting playback on the Finder level… I still don't get that...

I certainly will be following Charlie's recommendations nonetheless as my card is truly getting old and eventually will be getting a new machine. It seems these days the iMacs perform pretty well with FCPX. No crucial need to get a new Mac Pro for now - until 4K lands on my doorstep...

For others who might be experiencing the same problem, you can get the new driver here:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/detail?sid=3945&pid=4004&leg=true&o...

Don't forget to uninstall the previous driver first as per the instructions in the Read Me file.

Sebastian W. Howard
Batchfilms
Sculpting Life Into Moving Pictures

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 3, 2014 at 8:57:01 pm

Just happened to me today too. I think it's a conflict with 10.9.2 because that's all I've changed.

iMacs have always outperformed MacPros with FCPX. Apple pointed out from the get go that X utilizes specific tech in the Sandy and Ivy bridge chipsets, which are post MacPro. Until recently of course.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]