FORUMS: list search recent posts

Most efficient software to encode video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Lithman
Most efficient software to encode video
on Mar 3, 2014 at 12:15:44 pm

I have a tone of video that needs encoding and have noticed that certain pieces of software can encode/transcode the same source video into the same output codec at completely different speeds. I'm just wondering what the fastest most efficient programme is to do this with generally?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Most efficient software to encode video
on Mar 3, 2014 at 6:08:37 pm

Encode from what to what?

Return to posts index

Ben Lithman
on Mar 3, 2014 at 6:26:13 pm

From a Quicktime Prores 422 to... Whatever...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 3, 2014 at 6:30:50 pm

You are going to have to be a bit more specific.

Some suggestions in on particular order: Compressor, Episode, Handbrake, Squeeze.

Better efficiency might not equal quality.

If you are using FCPX, exporting right out of it to a setting or compressor setting is pretty efficient.

But your output requirements can change the encoding time depending on what exactly needs to be done, and what quality settings you choose (or not).

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Mar 9, 2014 at 3:22:18 am

I just used Handbrake for the first time after asking at the compression forum what would be the best app to encode a large FC project to under 8 gigs (x.264). It did a great job. But if you are talking about encoding a ton of video is that for archiving? Because it might be a better choice to just get a ton of storage. The only purpose to an archive is for future use. And in the future there will be better encoders and higher res expectations.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]