FORUMS: list search recent posts

aperture to fcp x

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
aperture to fcp x
on Feb 27, 2014 at 11:57:27 pm

Looking for some advice on exporting from aperture for use in a FCP X project.

here's what I am starting with for an example

here are my export choices

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: aperture to fcp x
on Feb 28, 2014 at 12:06:43 am

ZOMBIE PROM!?!?!?!? Sweet.

You can open the photo browser in FCPX and import straight from Aperture to FCPX

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 28, 2014 at 1:07:20 am

I don't have trouble importing them but want to know what size photos to export so they are not overkill for FC in terms of size.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 28, 2014 at 1:10:41 am

What I am saying is you don't have to worry about the size. Simply open the Aperture library within FCPX's photo Browser and drag them in to the timeline.

X won't even flinch.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 28, 2014 at 1:37:47 am

So FC will adjust the size? I've read repeatedly the full size photos slow FC down. Should the preset be optimized?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2014 at 1:26:34 pm

FCP X will take care of the size, but you are still hogging resources if you stick a lot of 5K+ images into your project.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 28, 2014 at 2:07:21 pm

Which is why I asked what settings I should use when I export these raw images out of Aperture. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2014 at 2:23:40 pm

Unless I need the larger size for pan/scan/zoom, I tend to work in a size range of 2500 to 3500 pixels for the longest dimension, assuming a 16x9 1080 timeline. Usually JPEG at a high quality setting. I don't use the media browser in X, because the interaction is direct to the timeline. This means that I don't get the benefits of the organization in the collections. I'll export and then bring those files into a folder with my other media. These are then imported in a standard fashion.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 1, 2014 at 4:08:33 am

You drag the image to the timeline or the event and in either case it is copied to your library. It won't link to stuff in the media browser. Just like with sound fx and music.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 28, 2014 at 7:53:36 pm

[Oliver Peters] "FCP X will take care of the size, but you are still hogging resources if you stick a lot of 5K+ images into your project."

This isn't FCP7 anymore and I don't find this to be true.

FCPX will put a copy of the picture in the Library. I routinely work with 4k media in 1080 projects. Pictures are around 5-ish k (different aspect ratio, of course), and take up a lot less space and resources. FCPX even has 5k presets.

Importing from Aperture right in to FCPX does not have to be right in to the timeline, you can drag them to a keyword collection.

Craig, so what you like, but the Aperture and FCPX connection is built. You can even drag directly from Aperture to FCPX skipping the Photo Browser.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 28, 2014 at 9:00:16 pm

Thanks Jeremy,

I have done this on short films without any problems. And with good results. But since I remember reading a number of times here and elsewhere that high res photos clog up FC, I thought I'd check. The other thing I remember reading is that the full res photos don't end up looking any better anyway so why take up the space? Anyway glad it works without a performance hit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]