FORUMS: list search recent posts

Loudness and broadcast

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pam Picard
Loudness and broadcast
on Feb 25, 2014 at 3:26:39 pm

Hi there -

I have finished a :30 spot for a client and now starting to look at the broadcast specs. Can anyone guide me through what is required for the audio (specifically the Loudness Meter).

Spot has been cut on FCPX.

Thanks,
Pam

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Loudness and broadcast
on Feb 25, 2014 at 4:22:28 pm

You might want post in the Audio Professionals forum. Perhaps a search there will uncover a useful workflow. You have a lot of powerful audio tools in FCPX, but I'm not sure there's an appropriate metering tool.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
on Feb 25, 2014 at 6:09:45 pm

Pam, make your spot project a Compound clip and then apply a loudness meter to that "master channel". I use VisLM by Nugen Audio and am very pleased with it. Just make sure the meter plugin is AU compatible.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 25, 2014 at 7:53:08 pm

I don't know if you have Adobe Audition but they have a pretty wickedly fast Clam Act filter that you can use on your final mix. Magic Feather has a quick tutorial here: http://magicfeatherfilms.com/?p=30

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
on Feb 25, 2014 at 8:06:06 pm
Last Edited By Jari Innanen on Feb 25, 2014 at 9:39:38 pm

The standalone LoudnessChange does the same as CalmAct filter does, but you have to mix the master first. There you need the Loudness Meter.

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Feb 26, 2014 at 4:49:18 am

[Pam Picard] "Hi there -

I have finished a :30 spot for a client and now starting to look at the broadcast specs. Can anyone guide me through what is required for the audio (specifically the Loudness Meter).

Spot has been cut on FCPX.

Thanks,
Pam"

Pam,

What are the specific specs for Program (Integrated) Loudness, Loudness Range, and True Peak? The client may have also specified Momentary and Short Terms Loudness targets ...

As far as a meter - indeed Nugen's VisLM is excellent. Waves latest release of their WLM Plus meter has some nice features. Mainly a built in True Peak Limiter and Gain compensation. And best bang for the buck is TB EBULoudness by ToneBoosters.

And yes - you'll need to work with a Compound Clip or a bounced version of your mix ...

-paul.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 27, 2014 at 12:48:35 am

Bear in mind that it's going to depend on where it airs. Every station has a spec sheet - you can usually get one through their production or sales department, or online at the station website. Here's an example of one - audio specs on page 8 or 9:
https://www.maoritelevision.com/sites/default/files/attachments/2012%20Comm...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Helge Tjelta
on Feb 27, 2014 at 7:45:45 pm

Hi Pam, it all depends on the spect for the channel. In europe, we now have a standard called R-128. When broadcasters accept things following this spec, it means that the integrated loudness should stay at -23dBFS, that is the precieved loudness should be around -23dBFS, this gives us a dynamicly headroom for 23 dB of true peak. This is the loundness war is over...

But, many broadcaster has not yet adjusted to R-128, so if they say -9dBFS peak level, that means you must compress you stuff alot to stay at the same level as others... Just don't peak over. This is the loudness war is still on going.

So check to se if the broadcaster has loudnes metering or peak metering in their specs.
/Helge

Helge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]