FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sluggish and halting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
Sluggish and halting
on Feb 24, 2014 at 7:50:21 pm

Anyone having trouble with FCPX halting? It seems to happen to me when I'm scrubbing in the event browser. The screen drawing stops, giving me incomplete thumbnails. Sometimes I'll get a spinning wheel and sometimes not. The cursor still moves, but nothing else works. I can't go to another app or the finder.

If I wait for a minute sometimes it comes back. Other times I need to force power down my mac and restart.

I'm running 10.1.1 on OSX 10.9.1. I installed Mavericks over the previous system, choosing not to do a clean install.

It's extremely frustrating. For me, editing is all about flow, and that's what I like so much about FCPX. It's smooth and quick, and lets me execute so easily, but when the system hangs every 10 minutes, I want to pull my hair out.

Thanks.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Sluggish and halting
on Feb 24, 2014 at 9:25:39 pm

I am having this exact problem today.

It seems to really happen with the j in j,k,l (that is to say, reverse playback/rewind).

The thumbnail goes black, it waits, I wait, and then all of a sudden with no warning things speed back up.

If you look a few posts down, I've asked a question about capture card performance.

This is a new Mavericks computer so I am not sure if a reinstall is going to do anything at all.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Feb 24, 2014 at 9:30:44 pm

Hmmmm..

A week or so ago, I was having so much trouble with one particular project crashing and freezing, that I nuked all of the thumbnail and peaks media, and that seemed to help...

that particular project.

With me, it's less the j-k-l keys, and more the cursor scrubbing in the event browser. It seems to always occur when the thumbnails are redrawing.

My media is generally on a second internal drive I put in my MBP. I imagine it could be a drive problem, but my gut tells me it's an issue with FCPX, since I'm not having trouble with other apps.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 24, 2014 at 9:50:17 pm

[Mark Morache] "With me, it's less the j-k-l keys, and more the cursor scrubbing in the event browser. It seems to always occur when the thumbnails are redrawing."

Yes, I have the same feeling that it has to do with thumbnails and waveforms as well. The Event Browser is a lot more sluggish that the timeline. Once I'm in the timeline, things are much better.

[Mark Morache] "My media is generally on a second internal drive I put in my MBP. I imagine it could be a drive problem, but my gut tells me it's an issue with FCPX, since I'm not having trouble with other apps."

I've tried this as well perhaps ruling out any discrepancies. It happens on both slow and fast drives (the internal drive on my laptop is running at 900 MB/sec. No matter how fast the drive, there seems to be some pausing and halting.

I think it's an FCPX issue not totally related to any particular hardware.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Feb 25, 2014 at 5:13:10 am

I'm having some playback issues on the new MacPro trash can. Short spinning beach balls when you hit the space bar from 10 to 30 second pauses. This is with a TB2 Pegasus R6 raid.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Feb 25, 2014 at 10:25:15 am

Dave! I did NOT like hearing that! I'm expecting my new Mac Pro this week. Max'ed to the limit. The last thing I want to see is the halting execution I'm seeing on my 2008 Mac Pro! My son just got his new Mac Pro yesterday and he keeps getting the alert "Your computer was restarted because of a problem" with 'Ignore' and 'Report' buttons. He can't get the alert to go away. He's updated it but it's still there.

I posted in another thread here recently that I had what is described here and I checked Activity Monitor to see if there was a process that might be hogging the CPU time. The halting processes, for me, was all over every function of every app. It turned out some 'agent' was at the top of the list in Activity Monitor with a number far above everything else. I double-clicked on it and quit the process. Normal computer again. Don't know what the agent did but it didn't affect anything that I could tell. That 'agent' pops up once in a while. Not on every reboot. Can't tell what triggers it.

I would be very curious if others on this thread have that issue. Please report back if you do.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Feb 26, 2014 at 4:42:38 am

I look forward to hearing your experiences when you get your new Mac Pro. It's like being on an island right now with very little input on these new cans.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 26, 2014 at 4:29:58 pm

10.9.2 hasn't solved this issue.

I feel like this is a waveform/thumbnailredraw issue, but what is happening is that it is somehow halting the stream of video and audio.

I was editing with the Console open and I noticed that the Kona card would sometimes get reset and that's when the halting started. Editing without the Kona card still halts, there's just no Console indication.

I found opening the Event viewer seemed to quiet down some of the halting as media was somewhat cached.

I guess it's time to try and report this to Apple.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]