FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interesting render cache ramblings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
Interesting render cache ramblings
on Feb 23, 2014 at 7:20:18 pm
Last Edited By Bret Williams on Feb 23, 2014 at 9:19:36 pm

So I have a sequence that is a bit odd. I shot a fun event (pinewood derby) with T4i at 720p60 and a iPhone 5S at 120p (which is awesome). And I'm editing in a 720p24 timeline so the slomos can be super smooth conformed to 20%. But of course stuff at 100% speed can be a little odd, but it's a fast cut thing so it's all good.

BUT, all that aside, my BMD Utrastudio Express won't output 720p24, just 1080p24. So I was toying with flipping the timeline between 720p and 1080p to see if it affected the output via the express. I was getting some dropped frames and was experimenting. So, the odd thing I discovered was that there are multiple project render caches. I rendered at 720p, then switched to 1080p and had to re-render of course. THEN I decided to delete the project render files. All orange again. Then I switched back to 720p and oddly enough, it didn't need to render! So I did some testing and found that there is a separate cache for each timeline setting. Whether it's a fluke or a feature I don't know but as Johnny Carson used to say "I did not know that." This app surprises me all the time. Good luck switching frame sizes in 7 without creating a mess!

And in the end, I just needed to reboot to fix the drop frames. After that, I was able to play back a 720p24 sequence that was all unrendered orange with numerous speed changes and ramps, and not one clip matching the frame rate of the timeline nor the scale of the express output (1080p) and not drop a frame. Nothing is optimized, and it's all high quality playback. Nice. Oh, and all the audio is AAC 44.1 in a 48khz timeline! Oh no! Can't do that! Of course you can. :)

My Den Leader car got it's but whipped but my daughter got 2nd in the family race!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Interesting render cache ramblings
on Feb 24, 2014 at 5:38:48 pm

Render files are pretty smart in fcpx.

You can render a timeline, add a new clip on top, re-render, then delete that clip, and fcpx won't need to render again as it reconnects back to the orig render files.

Congrats to your daughter!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Interesting render cache ramblings
on Feb 24, 2014 at 6:19:23 pm

Thanks. Although the boy wasn't too happy. He got 4th.

I tried to explain how X is smart about render files the other day to a 7 editor. Same thing you were mentioning. But it just glazed over.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]